Malta travel in 2021

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Hello,

I have been reading the speculation that Malta will be on the ‘green list’ from May 17, 2021.

I see also that Malta is not expecting tourism to open until June 1, 2021.

I was wondering what the odds were that Malta might reconsider that later date if the UK government did announce Malta was on the list from May 17.

Takes two to tango, of course….

thanks, Tom

FormerBA
    Participant

I am becoming increasingly frustrated with the endless speculation regarding travel and the list of Green, Amber and Red nations. I of course understand the economic imperative and there is nothing I want more than a journey overseas for some sunshine, cultural enrichment and relaxation.

Above all however, I don’t want to see anther lock down, another swath of death and the economic and metal health disaster that could bring.

I am firmly in the camp that the UK have acted late at every stage of this disaster and that the decision not to place India on the red list before this Friday is another example of negligence. The focus should be solely on vaccination and domestic recovery. Encouragement for people to spend domestically when the fully the vaccinated population exceeds 30 million, would surely be better for UKPLC than a rush to spend in Spain, Greece, Malta or Timbuktu.

4 users thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

Hoping that Malta is on the green list, although that doesn’t mean anything to us here in Scotland
    A few of us are looking at the last week in August or first week in September but I fear if our election results maintain the status quo Scotland will remain isolated with travel restrictions so harsh it’ll deter most Scots from travelling at all in 2021

I emailed the hotel directly and the response I got was very encouraging and welcoming so I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

Plus ,are they not paying international travellers £50 each to encourage tourism back?

1 user thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1097012]I have been reading the speculation that Malta will be on the ‘green list’ from May 17, 2021.

I see also that Malta is not expecting tourism to open until June 1, 2021.

I was wondering what the odds were that Malta might reconsider that later date if the UK government did announce Malta was on the list from May 17.

Takes two to tango, of course….[/quote]

Like most people I am very keen to restart my travels BUT, I view the traffic light system as only providing half a solution.

Deciding which countries are on a Green list, allowing unfettered access back into the UK border, is really not much help, if the border you are hoping to depart to, when leaving the UK, does not want you there in the first place. Malta being green is pretty pointless for us Brits if Malta’s borders are shut anyway. Would have thought countries need to talk jointly, before one giving access whilst the other doesn’t.

Complicated, yes, but there are workarounds.

A close friend in the UK has a partner (of the relationship kind) in the USA. USA borders are closed to most & UK partner is still not allowed leave the UK in the name of love.

So USA partner flies to UK every 4th week, stays in a shared flat for 5 days (don’t ask), then after negative test can go walk about outside for 2 days, before returning to to USA after 1 week. Apparently flights have never been so cheap or empty / available… all in the name of love… (ahhh).

It just seems so disjointed though, one can freely visit the other, but the other can not freely visit the other ..

As for how we are going to prove we have been vaccinated for those countries that will be demanding evidence… hmmm

And Yes Tom. Malta is a destination I need to go to for work… wonderful place…

cwoodward
    Participant

Is there not something of a problem though ?
    With only about,I believe 10 decent 5 star hotels the place would be full in a week.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=1097042]It just seems so disjointed though, one can freely visit the other, but the other can not freely visit the other ..[/quote]

There’s an old Chinese saying…..A man who wears 2 watches never knows the correct time.

Now imagine a plethora of politicians and an eternity of experts and no wonder we’re in the mess were in . And you’re American story sums it up perfectly , doesn’t sound like essential travel to me , unless of course the US partner is registered at a recognized sex addiction clinic. 🙂

PeterCoultas
    Participant

C Woodward wrote “With only about,I believe 10 decent 5 star hotels the place would be full in a week” – can I assume he is talking about London these days ?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1097078]And you’re American story sums it up perfectly , doesn’t sound like essential travel to me[/quote]

But do foreign visitors require there to be an ‘essential reason’ to arrive into or leave the UK (currently)? As for British residents with dual passports….another ‘fast pass’ to use borders freely….

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=1097085]But do foreign visitors require there to be an ‘essential reason’ to arrive into or leave the UK (currently)?[/quote]

Not a clue, I do know that if you’close friend lived in Edinburgh and the partner flew direct to EDI they’d have to forego they’re love making whilst paying a fortune for an imposed hotel stay regardless of reason or nationality. No wonder the skies above me are devoid of LH, KL, EK, QR , AF, TK , AY, or more appropriately in this case DL or UA

And only on Monday will essential travel be allowed across Hadrian’s wall , so going back to your original point —- Disjointed , doesn’t just apply internationally but to internal borders too

Chris in Makati
    Participant

So Malta didn’t make the Green List announced a few days ago. I had booked flights for June in anticipation of them going green, but have now changed them to July in the hope that things will have changed by then. Fortunately, both easyJet and even Ryanair changed my flight dates without penalty.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1099732]had booked flights for June in anticipation of them going green, but have now changed them to July in the hope that things will have changed by then.[/quote]

I too have now cancelled/delayed my trip to Malta until the next green list revision. Whilst it was possible to travel the 4 day business trip would have meant:

** covid test before travel outbound
    ** covid test before travel inbound
    ** covid tests on day 2 and 8 after return and ‘test to release test after day 5’
    ** compulsory 5 day quarantine, possibly 10 day quarantine
    ** travel / time to get Covid tests
    ** ca. £500 for testing (total in UK and Malta)

..and I have had both jabs.

These are the current rules – I am not looking to go against them…

@Chris
    in Makati – if we both make Malta in July, dinner? – I need to be there before July 18th..

Chris in Makati
    Participant

[quote quote=1099778]@Chris in Makati – if we both make Malta in July, dinner? – I need to be there before July 18th..[/quote]

My currently booked dates are:

Arrive: July 9th
    Depart: July 15th.

That could change depending on whether or when Malta makes the green list.

I’d definitely be up for dinner if we’re there at the same time.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=1099732]So Malta didn’t make the Green List[/quote]

In the same boat Chris, was in the process of booking hotels and flights for a group of us to go out and celebrate various milestones .
    Fortunately I checked the government website list rather than relying on my “Mr Know it all, never wrong” mate. Very surprised to see it in the Amber category.

The green list is a bit of a farce, as in reality only Iceland, Portugal and Gibraltar are options with Iceland still having deterrence restrictions

How often does the list get updated and whens the next review , that’s the big question ?

Chris in Makati
    Participant

[quote quote=1099819]How often does the list get updated and whens the next review , that’s the big question ?[/quote]

They say it will be reviewed every three weeks, so I assume the next announcement will be made around May 28th.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Finally made it to Malta. Will leave comments re the 5 PCR tests “currently” needed and 10 days quarantine “if now needed”, elsewhere, for this 72 hour trip.

Going through Heathrow this morning was quick easy and smooth, the airport was not, ‘not busy’ – and the flight was quite full. 100% compliance with mask wearing, but what was strange was the de planing… Used the BA protocol of row by row and please stay seated, reminded to keep 2 metres apart… only to be crammed like sardines into the bus to the terminal..

I know Malta is a small airport, not many flights, but they had a very efficient system for checking travel / covid docs separate to immigration. Was though in just a few minutes.

I wonder what T5 will be like on my return.

This was my first overseas trip for over a year… it feels fabulous to be able to conduct face to face meetings overseas…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls