Malaysia Airlines A380 First

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Anonymous

TominScotland
    Participant

We connected onto MH 3 from LHR to KUL from Terminal 4 from a BA domestic flight into T5. Online check-in was available for the BA leg but denied for MH by both airlines. We had pre-requested seats for our two MH legs via our travel agent but, on checking-in with BA in Glasgow, found that these requests had been ignored and we had been allocated alternative seats for both legs, together for the first leg to KL but 20 rows apart for our onward flight to Brisbane!! BA could do nothing about this so I took things up in the Lounge in T4. The lovely lady there was able to block a middle seat of 3 for us downstairs on the A380 and found us seats together for the onward leg so reasonably satisfied with the outcome.

The transfer from T5 to T4 was painless – I am not sure why folk get vexed about LHR transfers as, IMHO, they work smoothly in the main. We had checked luggage through to BNE and this can be risky with a terminal change but we had packed contingently in anticipation of the worst!! Security at T$ was fast if not friendly and we then went upstairs to the MH First Lounge. This is a really cozy space, comfortable seats, staff who cannot do too much for you. The food is perhaps a bit disappointing. The First Lounge is semi-open plan with the riff-raff in Business so you can see the poor souls suffer in their much larger space next door. A bit of a let down for us, then, to be turning right on boarding while they all went upstairs!!

We wandered down to the gate in good time and were among the first to board although premium oneworld passengers were not given obvious priority in the Economy lines. Our reallocated seating put us in the third row from the rear but gave generous room, both leg-wise and, with the middle seat free, between us. The window seats on the A380 also have a good 6”-8” of space next to the seat, making for an all-round comfortable seat for this class of travel. The seat itself is soft and, despite the long flight, did not cause me any discomfort at all. Recline is fairly limited but, despite this, when the passenger in front of me did recline, using my laptop on the table became a problem. Economy seats come with both usb and plug power at the seat which is great for long rides.

Despite the use of three doors, boarding of a A380 is fairly slow but we still pushed back on time and one of three captains on the flightdeck announced a shortish flying time to KL. The taxi to take-off was quite long but eventually we were airborne.

The crew were soon in action with a drinks round and those working our section were engaged and helpful throughout the flight. Lunch service followed soon thereafter, options were fish with noodles or chicken with risotto. We both opted for the latter, which was lemon tangy and fragrant – really tasty. This was washed down with a very serviceable Pinot Gris from New Zealand. Also offered were a spicy potato salad, a chocolate brownie and cheese and biscuits. Really robust Malaysian coffee finished off what was an Economy class offering.

I managed some work on my laptop until the folks ahead of my reclined and eliminated space to accommodate my working style. I did not try the IFE system beyond maps etc (I rarely do) but my better half enjoyed a movie of two from what is a decent selection albeit on a small screen. Regular trayed drinks were on offer and, even at the back of the aircraft, it was very quiet and easy to rest.

Breakfast was served two hours out of KL but, with service commencing at the front this time, the omelette option was no longer available. With a couple of hours in the lounge at KL ahead of us, we opted for fruit, yoghurt and a croissant together with more of the excellent coffee.

Despite promises of a short flying time, landing in Kl was only just short of schedule and a longish taxi brought us to the terminal. Despite sitting so far back, we were off the aircraft very quickly and into the terminal. We made our way up to the First Lounge where the lady on reception was able to confirm that our luggage had made it through to KL – great news!!

All in all a good A380 experience for the class of travel, helped by the blocked seat between us.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

An interesting review, but it doesn’t sound like First Class – which cabin were you actually travelling in?

TominScotland
    Participant

Ian

This is a frequent BT glitch. This was posted as Economy but hijacked as First. This has happened to me before.

Apologies to all – from both BT and myself!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls