Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Malarone is more effective taken with food. In my case, there are absolutely no side effects. I can’t remember what I took over 20 years ago on a trip to Pakistan, but I was very unwell for the entire trip.

Swissdiver
    Participant

alexpo1: Lariam?

I honestly don’t remember Swissdiver but I don’t think it was that one. And it was definitely more than one pill a day and, unlike Malarone, I had to start taking them about a week before departure.

Swissdiver
    Participant

So not Lariam (weekly take)…

Malarone must be started before departure (but only one day)

Edski777
    Participant

Alexpo1.
    It sound like you used Paludrine. The only malaria profylaxe that I ever used that required multiple dosages (pills) per day for adults. I used it in the mid-80s for a few trips to Pakistan as well and felt hopelessly ill the entire trips
    According to a doctor I asked about it, he said: “You still feel a lot better than when you contract malaria.”

I believed him and kept taking these pills.

Oops Edski and Swissdiver

I can’t count… my first and only trip to Pakistan was in the late 90s.

And on this subject, I have also taken them in places where they are not strictly recommended such as the Brazilian coast north to south and the Caribbean coast of Colombia, the latter being more open to debate.

StandingThemUp
    Participant

“40 years ago I took an Anti Mal Tab (Merchant Navy)..forget the name maybe mapacrine…or similar there has been so many…however first was last….thought I was on LSD or something.”

Sounds like Lariam! I only only ever took the damn stuff once and I felt so weird that I can’t even describe it; Then did some research and found out that people have jumped off te tope of buildings after taking it.

I always use Malarone and normally take it it at breakfast time, never had any side effects whatsoever. (nor caught Malaria.)

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

Lariam…sounds about right but as said remember others with names similar to Maloprime,Malocrine..etc

Thinking more about I seem to remember while down Cambodia way (about 20 years ago) our German Medics used to dish out “buckets’ of a new one called “Doxy” better known as Doxycycline which was used to treat all other infections as well…..understand chaps..

Decided to look it up…FIO..

Making the best of your Doxycycline treatment

Doxycycline is only useful as part of a larger plan to prevent a malarial infection, which means that you still need to take all measures necessary to avoid getting mosquito bites.

This means wearing clothes long sleeves and pants rather than shorts or T-shirts, but also using mosquito repellents, mosquito nets and air conditioning whenever possible.

Because Doxycycline is an antibiotic it also makes your skin more sensitive to sunlight, therefore remember to regularly use sunscreen.

Try to take your doxycycline tablets at the same time each day, and never take two doses at the same time to make up for a missed dose.

If you do forget to take a tablet, take it as soon as you remember as long as it’s not already time for the next dose.

Another (minor) thing, you should try to swallow the tablet whole, without chewing or crushing it.

During your treatment, it’s also best not to take any vitamin supplements, in particular iron or zinc – unless you really have to.

Doxycycline – Side-effects ….as Expected

The most common side-effects of Doxycycline 100mg tablets are diarrhoea, nausea, thrush, headaches and possible blurred vision. It may also darken the colour of your skin as well as nails and teeth (momentarily).

Some patients even suffer from diarrhoea up to two months after they stopped taking the treatment. Do consult your doctor before taking a medication for diarrhoea as it may interact with Doxycycline and make your symptoms worse.

In any case, always talk with your doctor if any of these side-effects is causing you too much trouble or discomfort (e.g. severe diarrhoea).

Other side-effects of Doxycycline include sunburn (skin rashes) and sometimes vomiting. Remember to avoid prolonged sun exposure and to use sunscreen as often as possible.

However, if you experience the following side-effects you must contact your doctor right away:

– High fever, extreme fatigue and joint pain;
    – Severe headache, sore mouth, blurred vision or rash;
    – Hives;
    – Significant difficulty breathing or swallowing;
    – Dark urine;
    – Yellow-coloured eyes.

Recon that’s enough GOOD News

IanFromHKG
    Participant

And meanwhile…

The memsahib and I are trying to work out what to do for our safari the week after next, in the Kruger National Park. It is a malaria zone, but not the malaria season.

Large proportions of our meagre weight allowance (on the shuttle flight up to the game reserve) seems to be taken up with DEET, and we will be wearing long sleeves and trousers etc etc etc.

For the four of us, buying Malarone in HK will cost about GBP400. Small beer in relation to the cost of the safari, but nonetheless a chunk of change.

Malarone is also used as a treatment, and can be taken when the symptoms first appear about a week after exposure, at which point we will all be in the UK. It is also, I understand, not a perfect prophylaxis and even those taking Malarone can still contract malaria.

What do my more learned fellow posters recommend/think? Our most obvious options are (1) given the season, hold off on Malarone (and the potential side-effects) until it becomes “necessary”, (2) try Malarone beforehand to see if any of us experiences unpleasant side-effects (on which topic, the memsahib has a notoriously weak stomach) and if all if OK then just bite the bullet, buy it and take it, or (3) just take it anyway on the basis that better to feel ill from the Malarone than get malaria (even though Malarone isn’t 100% effective)

All input gratefully received!

And if anyone knows where we can get 70 tablets of Malarone for less than 400 quid, do let me know!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’ve not been to Malaria infested areas for years now, but will likely do so in a few months time.

When I did go, I found the tablets made me feel awful, there was Paludrine and something beginning with “T” though can’t remember. However, like Terry, I stopped taking them and drank G &T’s and ate plenty of toast with Marmite (which works in Lugano at keeping the Mozzies at bay. Neither I or the youngest get bit whereas the marmite haters do) as well as using those spiral things you light at night.

Seemed to work as in 10 years of travel in West and Central Africa – 9 without the pills – I never contracted malaria. Or was I just lucky?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

PS. In S. Africa we use Peaceful Sleep. Works wonders and never been bitten when using it. Keeps the Ticks at bay as well. No malaria where we are but can be some vicious Mozzies.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Thanks, LP – where can you buy the Peaceful Sleep? Is it a tablet or a bug deterrent?

Swissdiver
    Participant

Was wondering: a European on a long assignment in a malaria infested zone: what kind of treatment? Malarone for months?

StandingThemUp
    Participant

I’ve heard my doctor say you can take it for a year, with no side effects, but you’d need to check that out with your doctor.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Thanks. Was just out of curiosity…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls