Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)

• Anonymous

Swissdiver
    Participant

Was wondering. I usually take it in the evening, right before or during dinner. Most of the people commenting on the topic write they take it at breakfast. And you? Pros and cons of the timing?
    Thanks

HBHLondon
    Participant

Best in the evening in case you have any reaction to it that can be dealt with overnignt. Side effects in my case were minimum.

peterhouse
    Participant

What’s malarone?

transtraxman
    Participant

SimonS1
    Participant

Evening. Makes me feel nauseous during the day.

Edski777
    Participant

In case of any doubt talk to your doctor who prescribed it or the pharmacist. Especially if you use other medication as well or have to use them for quite a long time.

If they can’t help you, you can contact the medical travel centers that most major airlines/airports have. They are normally quite knowledgeable and professional about it.

Don’t experiment with Malarone or any prescription drug for that matter. It can have some nasty side effects or interactions.

Californian
    Participant

My understanding is Malarone should be taken with food. I took it on a trip to Africa at dinner since that was my big meal and had no problems. It needs to be taken once a day and I find keeping a routine helps me to remember to take it and I was more consistent in eating dinner than breakfast. But, so long as you have a good breakfast I don’t think it matters whether you take it in the morning or the evening.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Good point, Edski777. This thread was aimed at people, like me, who already were prescribed Malarone and took it.

For any reader of this post. Malarone is a drug to prevent Malaria, a serious, and potentially lethal illness. Do not try it without a medical advice!

janrotterdam
    Participant

I have been on and off Malarone for a number of years due to heavy travel to malaria prone countries in both Africa and Asia. I always took the pill with breakfast as that was a “certain” meal at a “certain” time. But taking it at dinner time would be working well also.
    The chalenge for me was always to remember to take the pill after you have returned to your home country (usually one needs to continue taking the pills for 7-8 days).
    Like Swissdiver mentios:: Strictly stick to the medical advice.

JordanD
    Participant

As a regular traveller to India, I often take Malarone – as others have said, best to take it at the same time each day, and because I’m often out for dinners/lunches, it is therefore easier to have at breakfast.

I tend to have malarial medication mid-meal, that way it tends to be ‘supressed’ by more food on top and not leave any nasty after tastes or reminders.

Swissdiver
    Participant

janrotterdam,
    It is scheduled in my diary (electronic so my phone reminds me)! That the best way I found not to forget…

SimonS1
    Participant

Always worth reading the instructions that come with the drug.

Having just looked it says only take with food and at the same time each day.

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

40 years ago I took an Anti Mal Tab (Merchant Navy)..forget the name maybe mapacrine…or similar there has been so many…however first was last….thought I was on LSD or something.

I have since stuck to the old fashioned ways and just drink G&Ts (ice and lime) and if the mozzies get too close ..chuck the empty bottles at them.

They don’t like that Mr Mainwaring….

Edski777
    Participant

I remember in the early ’80 Lariam was prescribed, but that was known to cause psychological problems with quite some users.

Was that what they gave you, Terry?

The quinine that was used in tonic water may not be in use anymore. Probably replaced by other flavorings without the medicinal effects. You’d have to check the labeling on your bottle. Better try doing that before the gin, I would suggest.

I am glad Malarone is available nowadays. Malaria remains a nasty disease.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls