Major engine failure involving AF A380 CDG-LAX today

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

• BA789
    Participant

Hi All,

I have been following this incident on Twitter thanks to a few passengers on the flight.

Take a look, I’m sure most of you will find the updates interesting.

The first and business class passengers were transferred to a chartered 737 that will make it’s way to Los Angeles via Winnipeg, ‘the rest’ have been flown to Atlanta and then on to Los Angeles.

https://mobile.twitter.com/johnnybirk

https://mobile.twitter.com/PJAdams10

Great work by the pilots for getting the plane down safely!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I thought that’s what would happen BA789. Must have been really miserable for those in Economy though.

Many years ago – late 70’s and pre Shengen, I was flying Mxp to AMS when for a reason I can no longer recall, we were diverted to Brussels. Living in Rotterdam I thought it would be quicker (after being stuck on board for over an hour) to rent a car and drive home. Talking amongst us we were about 10 all living in Rotterdam, and asked permission to get off. This was refused. So we decided to get off anyway. Down the stairs and halfway to the terminal across an empty tarmac, we were met by gun toting Belgian police who ordered us back. We did not argue!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I wonder if they’re entitled to compensation under EU261?

Poshgirl58
    Participant

Not wishing to stir this up, but if you think some of the comments above are silly, can I suggest you read the ones on Aviation Herald.

Lack of A380 steps aside, perhaps the Commander made the same decision as the QF32 crew, who also deemed using the chutes to be too dangerous.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=829297]I wonder if they’re entitled to compensation under EU261?

[/quote]

Tricky. Normally, tech failure is not classed as an extraordinary circumstance, but given this was a major and unusual failure, AF may well claim manufacturing defect, thus an extraordinary circumstance.

I can’t see them paying anything until an investigation has been carried out and a report issued. Of course, I may be wrong.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=829308]Not wishing to stir this up, but if you think some of the comments above are silly, can I suggest you read the ones on Aviation Herald.

Lack of A380 steps aside, perhaps the Commander made the same decision as the QF32 crew, who also deemed using the chutes to be too dangerous.

[/quote]

Just because some of the Aviation Herald comments border on lunacy does not change the nature of the comments here. 😉

TominScotland
    Participant

Not that it changes things much but Goose Bay is both a military and a civilian airfield and does take regular emergency trans-Atlantic landings (presumably as an alternate to Gander and because it has a long runway). There is a small civilian terminal but not large enough for 400+ passengers.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Tom

I think you willfind that Goose Bay is a military airfield with joint civilian use.

A bit like RAF Northolt.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=829308]Not wishing to stir this up, but if you think some of the comments above are silly, can I suggest you read the ones on Aviation Herald.

[/quote]

Of course most sensible people would recognise that. That’s why aircraft commanders are highly trained and I would back their judgement in such situations.

You always get one or two that think they know best though.

From the photos that emerged after the even it appeared that the whole plane was disembarked from a set of steps at 1L.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

SimonS1..as a retiree I can think that an unnannoucd visit to this base could be interesting and I doubt as unpleasant as being a Catalan voter..would be worth the experience to tool around there….

Alex McWhirter
    Participant

For those who are interested I found a video posted many hours ago on twitter by @cypheristikal and taken at Goose Bay.

It’s filmed on the ground as he walks around the A380 during yesterday daytime. You can clearly see the damaged engine and wing.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=829358]SimonS1..as a retiree I can think that an unnannoucd visit to this base could be interesting and I doubt as unpleasant as being a Catalan voter..would be worth the experience to tool around there….

[/quote]

With a 380 load of passengers suddenly descending on a military base I doubt the security there would really share your interest.

Not to mention the possible bill for repacking the emergency chute set of unncecessarily.

Still you might make the Labrador evening news….hot headed retiree sets off A380 escape chute type stuff.

canucklad
    Participant

Does anyone know who manufactured the problematic engine ?

Flightlevel
    Participant

Mountain out of an A380, lower deck obviously no different to CAF airliner and since no one wanted to be there no security risk either.
    Just let them exercise and return to sleep on board ’till hotels found.
    A380 is now the safest airliner/pax so must be an AF maintenance problem?

Poshgirl58
    Participant

It’s Engine Alliance. Group made up of GE, Pratt & Whitney, SNECMA.

Not RR this time!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls