Main Cabin Extra

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Anonymous

RichHI1
    Participant

AA have confirmed they are adding extra room to the front rows of the coach cabin starting with 777 300 ER. As well as being good news that more room will again be availble in coach (though not throughout as before) the extra room will be free to elites anf they are not introducing an extra class like WT+ so upgrades from coach to Business remain available unlike BA where WT to Club requires a double upgrade (which AA does not permit). All in all more excellent news from AA. (Sorry if posted elsewhere BT – could not find it.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/mainCabinExtra.jsp?anchorLocation=HomePageHero1&reportedTitle=Main Cabin Extra&reportedPosition=3&url=undefined&_locale=en_US&repositoryName=undefined&repositoryId=undefined

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Don’t I remember they did something similar a few years ago and then withdrew it?

RichHI1
    Participant

DoS a few years ago they introduced more room throughout coach and put more room in all seats for no extra charge. Unfortunately the public voted with their purchases that they would rather be uncomfortable and pay less on loco carriers so AA removed more room and deepened discounts.
    This time they are only adding extra room to a few rows at the head of the coach cabin. This will be reservable for a fee however full fare passengers and Aadvantage elites will receive it free. As a further offer this free offer will be available to Gold Aadvantage which I believe eqautes to Silver on BA for 1 year. I do not know whether this free availability applies to BA EC golds but it may well through One World rules. I have found through talking to colleagues in the BA EC scheme that AA treats BA gold members more equitably than BA treats AA EXP’s though of late this has improved.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

AA is copying the concept started by UA started some years back and since emulated by KL, DL and so on. It’s nothing new.

The big news is what will happen to standard Y class on the 777-300ER. Will it, as is rumoured, move to 3-4-3 ?

As Rich mentioned, I do remember the “extra legroom in economy” marketed by AA some years back. It was offered network wide, not just domestically. So you found the extra legroom on transatlantic routes. But as Rich says, the average passenger preferred to pay a little less and fly with BA, UA etc even though seat spacing was not so generous.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Is this to be paid for, or based on elite status?

RichHI1
    Participant

The comunication I received from AA said it would paid for however EXP’s would receive gratis. In the first year gratis would apply to all non base levels of Aadvantage.
    Why it is better than UA and BA is that it is not an extra class so upgrades fropm Coach/ World Traveller to Business are still possible.
    Negative side at present is no one knows which flights 777 300 will be on so the first few months will be like New First on BA, you won’t know what you are going to get. However once a number of 777 300’s are flying and they start upgrading other equipment, it should be a great step forward. I really think AA is coming back.
    Also AA learned from last time. This is aimed at full fare and regular loyal pax not the cheap and cheerful brigade. They are not doing it cabin wide allowing for cramped uncomfortable seating for those who prefer it (at cheapest cost).
    Trying to get clarification on whether coach will move to 3 4 3 from 2 5 2 on 777 300. The journalists are all convinced so which probably means it won’t. AA will not be drawn and it is interesting the mock up shots released are framed to leave options open. Certainly 3-4-3 would be a backwards step for many but based on expreience if it drops the fare 30 or 40 pounds then the cheapskates will snap it up…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls