Madrid – Sao Paulo

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

• Anonymous

Bonnington
    Participant

Has anyone flown this route recently? From the reviews Iberia have mixed reviews and traveling for such a long trip I was wondering if this route might have the new aircraft. Will be traveling in economy.
    Thanks

That’s very interesting Bonnington. I have just had a look at the route on Iberia’s website in July and it’s scheduled to be an A340-500, an aircraft I didn’t realise was in its fleet.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/breaking-news/224140/where-does-the-airbus-a340-500-fly-november-2013-network-update/

Note last paragraph: I would safely say you will be flying on an A346 Bonnington.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Iberia sometimes uses a slightly diffferent code on its A340 fleet,but they use it to differentiate between the old and newer/post refurbishment aircraft.

For example they have A340-300, but on some of these flights they use the code 342 as opposed to 343) to indicate a refurbished and reconfigured aircraft. Iberia does not have the A340-200 or the A343-500, as Alexpo indicated, but does have the A340-600.

I reckon it will be a refurbished A340-600 as it is such a major route, but this may depend on operational factors. IF TimFitzgerald (regular poster and always insightful) is reading this he might be able to check which seat payout is used and thus if it is a refurbished aircraft.

The Iberia new economy product does seem far nicer than the old one, but IB crew can be a bit of a lottery. But Bonnington whether the aircraft is old or new you will have 2-4-2 seating in economy, very comfortable and never more than one seat from the aisle! Superior in my opinion to 777 or 787.

Please do report back on your experience with IB on the seatplans website.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

I have someone on that plane as we speak and just taken off on the MAD-GRU run – so I could ask them for you. But looking at the seat map the Aircraft denoted as 345 (normally an A340-500) is a refurbished A340-600 as the Business Class has the new seating layout. Hope that helps.

Edited to add – they also run the code 342 and this appears not to have the new Business Class (for 11th/13th June) so might want to keep an eye on this and try and get the “345”

Hermes1964
    Participant

I flew it last June and thought it perfectly ok in their old business class which had flat bed. (I’m not clever enough to post link to my review but it should be there somewhere). I find Iberia crew mixed but never unpleasant though I know others who have had run ins. And they can be very pleasant indeed. I actually quite like the food and wine as it has a strong Spanish influence and is a bit different as airplane food goes. Overall Iberia are upping there game and their new Business Class makes them a very credible option IMHO.

Bonnington
    Participant

Thanks so much everyone for your comments. Im looking forward to the trip and less anxious with all the feedback 😉

sparkyflier
    Participant

I thought I would use this discussion instead of starting a new one as I have a similar question.

I am looking to maybe fly on Iberia at the end of July, from MAD to LHR, on the 16:20 flight, which is scheduled to be an A340-600, which I am eager to try out, especially in Business Class. Does anyone know, and I am hoping TimFitzgeraldTC would know, if I am likely to get the old or new product. Both are pretty decent hard products though, especially for a 2 hour flight!

Any insight woud be much appreciated.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Hi Sparky Flyer

A quick look at 27th to 30th July and it shows either as 342 or 346 in Business Class on IB3164 – going into seat map it seems to be the old product. On the 28th it is actually an A320 so using smaller plane that day for some reason. So looks like if it is an A340 most likely to have the older product (which is still far better than most European Business Class) but I guess IB won’t waste a new configuration on this hop – unless you are really lucky!

Edited to add – looking further the 23rd is 345 – so new Business Class. But my guess is that it could be plane changed to an older plane nearer the time.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Many thanks Tim. And how about the 25th? This is the date I am looking at.Much appreciated.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

346 at the moment – so 42 seats in Business Class in 2-2-2.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Many thanks for looking into this Tim.

Jetset1808
    Participant

Hello all, this thread seems the most relevant so I thought I would add to it.
    I am due to be flying iberia from MAD to UIO (quito) on the 30th of April, returning the 15th May. I too have read very mixed reviews about iberia and wondered whether the A340’s on this route had been refurbished with their new business class product? Is there anyway I can check? Or would anyone know?
    Thanks in advance! Luke

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

At the moment scheduled on old product out and new business back. New business seat is supposed to be very good.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls