Lufthansa to launch Limo transfers in UK on First Class Bookings

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)

• esselle
    Participant

Cars are my passion.

Currently Range Rover and Aston in the garage. Also a Toyota Yaris each for the two daughters who can drive. Neat little cars actually.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

This story has now been confirmed by Lufthansa. It also includes Swiss flights. First class passengers only.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Maybe BA will up their game by ressurecting the Black Cab scheme, although I note that Vintage Krug posted on another thread, that it was not popular.

I wonder why anyone would prefer a Merc or Audi to a Black Cab?

Or was it that the dentist/chiropractor fees post hoc, cost more than the cost of a limo?

seanyjmuclhr
    Participant

Am I missing something or does this NOT apply to LH/LX flights ex-LHR?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello seanymuclhr

We had it confirmed from Lufthansa that the scheme applies only from the three regional airports as mentioned in our news piece.

It does not apply to Heathrow or any London airport for that matter.

Lufthansa says that it is a trial scheme so could be extended or withdrawn in future. Who knows ?

BeckyBoop
    Participant

FDOS, black cabs have greater advantages of a limo as they could use bus/taxi lanes so in rush hour in London it would to their advantage.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Essele, you have very good taste. I see we have the same cars in the garage. Boys still too young to drive though!

This has been quite cleverly done I think. Coming from the regions, if you have to transit somewhere, why not FRA or ZRH? So makes sense to make this offer for those airports as do EK etc. rather than ex LHR.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

esselle – 02/05/2013 18:15 GMT
    Cars are my passion.Currently Range Rover and Aston in the garage. Also a Toyota Yaris each for the two daughters who can drive. Neat little cars actually.

Nice cars, I have a RR too and am seriously considering the new one…..I got rid of my M6 and bought a race car, raced it successfully for a couple of seasons and now thinking “what next”.

All part of my ongoing and deepening mid-life crisis.

Rgds.
    AOTG.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Yes, looks like ‘me too’ positioning, LH learning from EK and EY.

I have always thought that BA’s re-trenching to LHR is a very dangerous move, letting go of the regions means a niche position and if the environment across the pond changes, they would be in big trouble.

The ending of the JSF with Qantas should be a salutory lesson.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

BeckyBoop – 03/05/2013 10:06 GMT
    FDOS, black cabs have greater advantages of a limo as they could use bus/taxi lanes so in rush hour in London it would to their advantage.

Becky, some of the stuff you post astounds me, it truly does.

Here’s something which seems to have escaped yours, and Vintage Boop’s radar: Greater London at the moment has some 7.7 million inhabitants. The UK, at the moment has some 62.7 million inhabitants – shall I explain what that means? It means that 55 million people couldn’t give a toss about black cabs using bus lanes or not. Regardless if BA offer black cabs or not, there are other airlines out there offering a true door-to-door flying experience which you then take exception with on the basis that people with nicer cars wouldn’t be seen dead getting out of an E-Class? Honestly, you wonder why I joke about you being off your meds with alarming frequency, those types of people would also not be seen dead on a commercial airliner, they’d be on private jets.

I can only assume that you and your posting partner have been feeling a vacuum of attention as there’s some bizarre trolling on almost every thread just now. All of it as blatant as can be .

Open-Jawed.
    AOTG.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“FDOS, black cabs have greater advantages of a limo as they could use bus/taxi lanes so in rush hour in London it would to their advantage.”

As this LH/LX offer does not apply to London airports, I am at a loss as to your point.

Senator
    Participant

FormerlyDoS – 03/05/2013 10:29 GMT
    “Yes, looks like ‘me too’ positioning, LH learning from EK and EY.”

Spot on! Lufthansa may be many things, but innovative and first to market is not one of them 🙂 Cautious and follower, not leader. That is not to say that their First Class experience is stellar!

I have been extremely loyal to Lufthansa for 12 years, but I find the changes over the last couple of years not to my liking. To me, it feels like an introvert focus on decisions rather than a market focus. Claiming that LH Mainline is the premium brand in the group does not map to my reality. Yes, the LH First experience is top notch, but I would use Austrian and Swiss any day in Business Class over Lufthansa both short- and long-haul. LH is simply not up to the task IMHO. I am keen to see what other introvert decisions will come from the SCORE programme.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

Senator – 03/05/2013 10:48 GMT
    Spot on! Lufthansa may be many things, but innovative and first to market is not one of them 🙂 Cautious and follower, not leader. That is not to say that their First Class experience is stellar!

Hi Senator

I was looking at Lufthansa first last night for a trip to Shanghai, do they suffer from the same 1st cabins as BA with some really old crap ones or is their fleet more up-to-this-millennium?

Genuine question as I’ve never flown with them.
    Rgds.
    AOTG.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Hi Senator

I tend to agree with you about LH, not my favourite airline either and in particular agree that Swiss and Austrian are better choices in business.

Senator
    Participant

AllOverTheGaff,

I am not normally a First class flyer, it is normally outside my budget. I have however, a few miles/points upgrades and redemptions as well as a few operational upgrades on both BA, LH and Swiss.

The FRA-PVG route is operated by a B747-400. 17/21 airframes have been upgraded with the unique chair/bed solution that LH has for this particular aircraft. LH uses the upper deck for First on the B747-400 and it used to feature 16 seats. For the past two years, only eight was sold and the staff would set one seat up for bed, and one for sitting. This concept was kept for the re-configured aircraft, and I have heard nothing but praise for this layout. So eight seats it is, not cramped at all.

For the new B747-8i, they have placed eight seats in the front nose. This is the same seat as featured on the A380 which will be deployed on this route come September.

From MUC, the route is served by an A340-600. These have eight seats. Currently, nine of 13 airframes are upgraded with the A380 seat. Regardless, it will only be eight passengers in the front.

I would use the FRA run and experience the FCT as well. A unique experience in my view. Until I’ve had the opportunity to sample the new F seats either on the B747-400 or the other combined option, I would say that the best seat is on Swiss A330-300. However, they deploy an older seat on the A340-300 to PVG which I wouldn’t recommend. So book FRA-PVG, given yourself a little longer then normal to sample the Ground Experience in Frankfurt.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls