Lufthansa Group to change Credit Card Fees

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Anonymous

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

The Lufthansa Group will be changing credit cards fee from the current flat rate of £5 to a percentage of 1.65% up to a maximum €25 / £20 / CHF30. This will happen by the end of the month.

Not content with adding on a GDS charge for agencies – now clawing more back from credit card fees from all customers as well (and Business Customers will be disproportionately hit again).

Let’s see if IAG / AF/KL follow shortly behind on this.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Thanks for alerting us, Tim.

It doesn’t come as a surprise because the LH Group have higher service fees for passengers who book their flights in mainland Europe.

So it seems the UK is now catching up.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I’ve only booked one ticket with LH Group in the past 12 months, this certainly doesn’t inspire me to consider them over my usual carriers.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I find this charge one of the most pernicious there is, and I wish government would ban it. I can choose to pay or not for so many extra things such as seat selection, extra baggage etc, but not the cc charge. I have no choice. I can’t even pay by bank transfer to avoid the charge and this is what I find so wrong.

JohnHarper
    Participant

Ah, another reason not to book LH.

They really do seem hell bent on annoying people.

TMCWoking
    Participant

To add insult to injury LHG are calling it an Optional Payment Charge. I appreciate you can pay via a bank transfer but in reality how many people nowadays do this. The charge applies to all tickets where travel commences in the UK, Belgium, Germany, Finland, Ireland, Netherlands & Switzerland.

MrMichael
    Participant

Does the fee apply to debit as well as credit cards? I have advised a client of mine to charge an e1.50 charge minimum or 1.75% (whichever is the greater) for all purchasing using a credit (not debit) card. Am also discussing with them the pro,s and cons of not accepting Amex at all. The charge will just about cover the processing fee and risk associated with accepting credit cards. I can understand LH doing it if working on low margins where the fee’s the business has to pay to accept the transaction can be more than the profit made. Obviously any business working on such low margins is in a precarious position, as is in the case I am working with that happens to be a public sector business.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

It is called an optional payment charge, but in Switzerland you can only pay it with a post office account, which I don’t have. So it’s not at all optional!

TMCWoking
    Participant

@MrMichael – I’ve been informed that the OPC applies to all forms of payment that are entered in the credit card field, e.g. there is no differentiation between credit or debit cards.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls