Lufthansa: “Europe’s leading airline”…?

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

• Flightlevel
    Participant

I agree with Delta Airlines,”we don’t buy experimental aircraft”

AMcWhirter
    Participant

David –

Lufthansa will start to dismantle the German Wings route network after the summer season.

Reports indicate that over 50 routes will be switched from German Wings to Eurowings starting at the end of October.

The first set of route changes include those departing Cologne, Dusseldorf and Hamburg. They cover both domestic and international routes.

transtraxman
    Participant

If Eurowings is going to be mid to long-haul flights, why is Lufthansa transfering mid to short haul flights from Germanwings to Eurowings?

Have you got a reliable source? Alex

I can see Eurowings taking over the role that Condor had before, but the short haul routes do not fit into that equation.

“Lufthansa Wins TUI Commitment On Eurowings”,
    Airwise/Reuters 20th March 2015

http://news.airwise.com/story/view/1426857498.html

TMConsulting
    Participant

Could be totally unrelated but… Germanwings flights DUS GVA are already “operated by Eurowings”.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

transtaxman –

As “TMConsulting” has just noted, the flight codes reflect the changes. “4U” is replaced by “EW.”

I have just checked DUS-LHR for November as that is shown as “operated by Eurowings.”

It’s a gradual change. As I noted in a few posting above, Lufthansa has no choice but to take action because the operating costs of German Wings are about 40 per cent higher than rival low-cost carriers and 20 per cent higher than Eurowings.

This can’t continue and especially as Ryanair is moving into the German market.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/101448/ryanair-to-launch-seven-new-cologne-routes

I must stress that Eurowings is not designated by Lufthansa solely to ply medium to long-haul routes.

It will operate all low-ost operations, short, medium- and long-haul on behalf of Lufthansa.

Eurowings’ first European base (featuring A320s) outside Germany will be in Vienna. See our report dated February 19.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/101381/new-eurowings-to-open-base-in-vienna

transtraxman
    Participant

@alex
    ….trax…. , please certainly not ….tax….

Thanks for the information.
    I glean, then that Germanwings has served its purpose and is destined to disappear. Eurowings will take over all low cost operations.

MrMichael
    Participant

Maybe BA should rebrand its European operations as BritWings. I am usually a defender of BA on here, but accept that realistically their short/medium haul flights are no better than a decent LoCo.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Or something like BA Express or what about British European Airways…. LOL! Time to acknowledge what their seasoned pax have long since seen going on?

WillieWelsh
    Participant

Managing to avoid strike days, I’ve just done six short sectors on LH, they remain light years ahead of BA in terms of service and consistency and the new BA seats make the NEK seats positively pleasant.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls