Lufthansa cabin staff threaten strike action for one week effective Nov 6

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Only too happy to assist you, ATOG.

Enjoy the flight. I am sure you will !

FDOS_UK
    Participant

AllOverTheGaff – 05/11/2015 19:42 GMT

+1

icenspice
    Participant

On a positive note, I find LH groundstaff very friendly and helpful at both Frankfurt and Munich.

Enjoy your flight down to Rio AOTG!

And same to you FDOS!

LetsFlyNow
    Participant

The strike starts today at 2pm till 11pm.

For now ALL flights from Frankfurt and Düsseldorf have been cancelled from 2pm – 290 flights in total.
    Whether there’ll be strikes tomorrow is yet to be announced.

Certain is that on Sunday there won’t be any strikes.

Also not affected are LH operations in Munich due to the ongoing school holidays in Bavaria till Sunday.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

The strike commences at 1300 GMT today.

To make matters more confusing, the UFO union is varying the airports at which its members will strike and on which days too.

Today the action takes place at DUS and FRA. It will last for nine hours.

But MUC will be spared this weekend (because of the school holidays) and there will be no strike action at any base in Germany on this coming Sunday.

Note that this strike will affect only the Lufthansa core brand. It does not affect flights by budget subsidiares Eurowings/Germanwings.

http://www.thelocal.de/20151106/lufthansa-strikes-to-hit-frankfurt-and-dsseldorf

Charles-P
    Participant

I spoke this morning to one of my staff in Germany and was talking about the local reaction. It seems that support for the strikers is more or less non-existent and on a popular radio phone in show one or two people described them as a “disgrace to the German people”, this comment is unusual in Germany and considered very insulting.
    A number of competitor airlines have run adverts saying they are flying and anecdotal evidence is that British Airways and Turkish Airlines have both seen big increases in bookings.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

What a great pity, the flight was superb, food excellent, awesome hard product and half an hour early.

Oh well…..

Rgds
    AOTG

LetsFlyNow
    Participant

Tomorrow Saturday only short haul (A320 & B737 aircraft – interestingly very specific on aircraft types) will be be affected by the strike at FRA from 6am to 11pm. Long haul to operate as ‘normal’.

In Düsseldorf all flights remain cancelled.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

LetsFlyNow – But I understand the strike affects only the LH core brand and not Eurowings/Germanwings.

So therefore only a few LH feeder flights (those heading to/from its hubs) would be affected at DUS. Is that correct ?

LetsFlyNow
    Participant

@AMcWhirter – exactly. Only LH is affected and the rest of the airlines in the group like Eurowings or Swiss are not.
    There’ve been rumblings from newbie Eurowings this week so i wouldn’t be surprised if more drama came up. Though mothership LH shot back that they’ll only negotiate in Austria in the case of EW since that’s where Eurowings in based…complicated.

Indeed DUS hardly plays a role here. Less than 20 flights affected since they’re mostly feeder flights to MUC and a single long haul route to New York. It hardly takes more than an hour and a half with the sprinter HS train to FRA.

And there are frankly no sympathies with the striking crew here.

CXDiamond
    Participant

It occurs to me that it’s time for management at LH to take control and do their jobs.

This strike has little or no sympathy in Germany (I’m in Berlin at the moment).

The damage done to LH by the pilots and cabin crew in the course of the last twelve months has been dreadful and it’s not about to stop.

It’s time the airline was closed down and operations ceased until new and appropriate agreements are reached with all the unions. It’s not the German way of dealing with industrial unrest but the current methods and management are clearly not working.

I would advise all concerned that the airline will close on XX date in January unless agreements are reached and if they are not, close.

Recovery will take time but so much business must be being lost because of the uncertainty. Even I have flown with BA instead of LH and I don’t do that often but I need certainty and at least for the moment there is no industrial unrest at BA.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

But also note that Deutsche Bahn was damaged by a series of strikes (nine in the 11 months up to May 2015) by workers. Am not sure what the latest situation is but, as with Lufthansa, they affected rail passenger confidence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32810896

Just as Lufthansa is losing previously loyal passengers to foreign airlines and foreign airports (AMS/BRU/ZRH are convenient for certain regions of Germany) Deutsche Bahn has seen some passengers defect to the newly deregulated long distance bus operators.

Indeed as reported previously on our News pages, Deutsche Bahn has established its own bus firm and now finds it more economical to replace some of its train services by buses !

AMcWhirter
    Participant

There was no UFO strike at Lufthansa today.

But tomorrow (Monday) UFO says its members will stage walkouts at Frankfurt, Dusseldorf and Munich.

http://www.dw.com/en/lufthansa-strike-to-continue-into-second-week/a-18835084

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Lufthansa pilots and cabin crews on strike. Now they’ve a UFO problem too.

Rather sums it up really.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Latest news.

LH management refuses to back down. The strike continues.

http://www.thelocal.de/20151111/lufthan

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls