Lufthansa cabin staff threaten strike action for one week effective Nov 6

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

AOTG, if there is a strike they’ll likely route you with Swiss and TAM via GRU!

MarcusGB
    Participant

KLM also pick up much busines from such strikes.

AF and LH really have to realise that change is needed to survive. One or two weeks of strikes as with AF and LH eat into profits, and their chances of survival, in albeit a lower cost model in Europe.
    They really should be grateful for what they have rather than they lose what they have, or sacrifice a number of posts as with AF with the total number of employees.

Many other Airlines are biting at he heels to snap up business lost within days were they to lose their foothold. Especially the low cost in Europe, and they will not regain it back.

Very foolish.

JohnHarper
    Participant

I have put LH on my list of carriers to avoid as I’ve been caught by their strikes before.

Fortunately on the last occasion it was only a journey from MUC-LHR and I made it by train instead which I enjoyed.

On that occasion though I had problems with their call centre, I had been advised by email that my flight was likely to be cancelled due to strike action, the call centre refused to rebook me as the strike had not been confirmed and offered to change my flight for a fee in similar mode to the experience of AOTG. I declined to pay and eventually they had to refund my expenses due to their own failure to act in a timely manner.

Although I like LH particularly in long haul F at the moment I wouldn’t book anything with them. It’s one thing getting stuck in MUC wanting to get to London and another entirely being in SIN wanting to get home.

lostsomewhere
    Participant

I’m flying LH from LHR to FRA on Fri 13 NOV. Shall I make another booking on BA just in case?

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

lostsomewhere – 05/11/2015 11:00 GMT
    I’m flying LH from LHR to FRA on Fri 13 NOV. Shall I make another booking on BA just in case?

You’ll know by 17:00 European time tonight if the strike is going ahead, if it is, LH will have to re-route you FOC or give you a full refund. You have the benefit of time, I didn’t in my case.

I’m not finished with LH by a long way, as soon as I get to Frankfurt, in around 4 hours, I’m going to find their head of customer services and relay this story to him/her see if they have this same lack of common sense.

Worst case scenario, I’ll file dispute with my credit card provider upon my return.

Rgds.
    AOTG.

conshaldow
    Participant

AllOverTheGaff – 05/11/2015 11:14 GMT

Unfortunately I fear you are at the end of a raw deal here, as Lufthansa had every right to advise you what they did over the telephone.
    As the strike isn’t confirmed as yet and your flight is still scheduled to depart then any changes would result in having to pay any change fee/fare and tax difference as per the fare rules.

However, as you say timescale was very small with regards to departure but basically the airline will charge the relevant fees up until the flight has been cancelled/delayed for a long enough period of time.

I would hope this is something Lufthansa (and other airlines) will realise is a ridiculous way to deal with strikes and cancellations and put a bit more of a prewarning/avoidance system in place for such occasions.

I fear we may be hoping for a while longer still however…

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

Fundamentally, they write their T&C’s to suit them and not the customer, I don’t care if the dispute is unsuccessful, it is just my form of protest.

I could also take them to small claims court – that might be another option. What a preposterous situation that their ‘customer service’ have created though, this could and should have been handled with far more sense in the circumstances of a strike, if I’d taken a full refund and flown with “A.N Other” airline, they’d have lost the entire revenue.

As it is, there has been zero cost to them as a business and, what I consider, a very unfair penalty applied to me, I don’t think I’d struggle to convince a Sheriff in Scotland of my case.

Rgds.
    AOTG.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Reuters reporting this morning that the head of Union UFO says the strike appears “unavoidable.”

We’ll know more later this afternoon.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/05/us-lufthansa-unions-idUSKCN0SU0QT20151105?feedType=RSS&feedName=businessNews#psOBdfFGdjKhy4RD.97

JohnHarper
    Participant

I’ve just been told that LH have now seen the light and are allowing changes to tickets for the strike period.

http://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/Travel-information

AMcWhirter
    Participant

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Just sitting in the Senator lounge at FRA, thanking my lucky stars I chose the late flight tonight, rather than hotel and fly tomorrow 🙂

Also fingers crossed the a/c doesn’t go tech!!

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

So, a wee update on my situation.

I’m in the Lufthansa 1st terminal, which I have to say is very good, albeit I don’t think it is as good as EK’s 1st lounge.

When I arrived, I asked to speak to the lounge manager/supervisor and I calmly explained my grievance. He sent one of his minions back to tell me that if the strike went ahead, they’d refund the charge.

I couldn’t be bothered arguing about what happens if the strike doesn’t go ahead…..nevertheless, same minion has returned with a letter highlighting my £410.00 refund.

What a bloody kerfuffle though, but at least common sense prevailed.

Eventually

Rgds.
    AOTG.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

AOTG

Have a good flight – I’m only hopping across to MAN.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

AMcWhirter – 02/11/2015 13:50 GMT

News just announced that Lufthansa cabin staff are threatening to strike for one week starting on November 6.

Can I just say a very public thank you to AMcWhirter for the posts and heads-up on the strike, without this post and advance warning I would now be scrambling about trying to get to Rio instead of calmly sat in the lounge with a large Rioja!

Many thanks!!
    Best.
    AOTG

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

Would have been good to meet you Mr.DOS, next time!

Best.
    AOTG.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls