Lufthansa A320neo definitely not 5 stars

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• EU_Flyer
    Participant

Recently flew on a LH 320neo in row 31 and the pitch was only 28 inches (despite being advertised as 29 inches across the board).

I’m 195cm and it was truly painful as my knee pressed against the metal frame of the seat in front. Despite having Senator status, I couldn’t get a better seat.

I did’t mind having a seat at the back but was shocked by the legroom which was worse than any LCC I’ve flown on. Lufthansa has been promoting its 5 star rating. I can’t see how this product is in any way 5 star.

Has anyone else had experience of the LH’s new 28inch seat pitch?

Otte
    Participant

LH Has long been going down hill,especially in Economy….but let’s not forget their abysmal Euro Business class.
    AS long as the demand is there,the customers will be treated like sardines.

2 users thanked author for this post.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

[quote quote=983596]LH Has long been going down hill,especially in Economy….but let’s not forget their abysmal Euro Business class.
    AS long as the demand is there,the customers will be treated like sardines.[/quote]

Sadly true. What shocked me was the 28inch seat pitch which is below any other full service carrier in Europe and perhaps globally. It seems incompatible with their brand.

Their customer service, which is usually excellent, has also been abysmal in dealing with it. Embarassing really.

rferguson
    Participant

If ever there was any doubt in the integrity of the Skytrax star rating, giving LH five stars has underscored it.

I’m not dismissive of LH being a good airline. As far as the european carriers go it is probably up there. But that’s not saying much. Their Business Class seating is last generation without direct aisle access. Their FRA hub is a nightmare. Lounges are ‘meh’. Intra-europe J class worse than average (one of the few including BA that don’t even provide extra legroom at the front).

1 user thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

As Vueling fuels BA’s race to the LCC bottom , I’m sure German Wings is having the same impact on LH’s bean counters
    I’m sure “ Das ist eine tolle Idee” is one of the most common sayings as LH’s finance team look to save money by copying their LC ‘s business practices

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=984542], I’m sure German Wings is having the same impact on LH’s bean counters[/quote]

And Germanwings is currently affected by strike action.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-lufthansa-strike-union/more-than-150-flights-canceled-in-germany-as-lufthansas-germanwings-hit-by-strikes-idUSKBN1YY0I8

EU_Flyer
    Participant

All very interesting insights. Many thanks!

Apart from all the other service quality reductions – the ultra short legroom was a shocker. Never been in so much prolonged pain on a flight given my height and the 28 inch pitch. Even BA still manage a minimum of 29 inches on the Neos I think.

If this is the future of short haul economy travel on a full service State carrier, God save us.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello EU_Flyer,

You will be interested to see these reports we published four years ago.

The first report was from information which was known at the time.

Lufthansa to offer less legroom than Ryanair

A few weeks later our contributor Andreas Spaeth wrote a more detailed piece re the A320 neo’s interior.

Note that, although the *average* economy seat pitch is 29 ins, the pitch in the last three rows is 28 ins and this would include row 31.

First look: Lufthansa’s A320neo reviewed

Industry magazine Flightglobal later published seat plans which show how Lufthansa was able to incorporate two more rows of seats on the A320 neo by installing newer and smaller lavatories.

https://www.flightglobal.com/picture-lufthansa-shows-a320neo-cabin-layout-changes/119750.article

EU_Flyer
    Participant

[quote quote=984847]You will be interested to see these reports we published four years ago.[/quote]

Many thanks Alex. I saw these Business Traveller reports when I did some post flight research to see if I was imagining the awful pitch. LH have also confirmed that the rear seats are 28 inch pitched. Really poor to say the least.

Swissdiver
    Participant

I guess this is another reason not to fly LH! If the airline ends up only with Ryanair clients, may-be it will get its acts together…

rferguson
    Participant

I just read a review of a flight in business class on an LH 747-400 on another site (sorry BT! 🙂 ).

I’m astonished at how cramped the business class seating is. It could certainly give BA CW a run for its money!

Particularly row 1 of J in the nose of the jet where they’ve squeezed in four seats. The image in the review is quite something. But most surprising they still go for the old 2x3x2 further back in the jet.

5* not.

Solo seat in the nose: A review of Lufthansa’s 747-400 in business class from Seattle to Frankfurt

EU_Flyer
    Participant

[quote quote=985393]I’m astonished at how cramped the business class seating is. It could certainly give BA CW a run for its money![/quote]

Granted, it’s a challenge balancing space with value but it’s sad to see that the Lufthansa Group’s biggest airline has the worst product of all the group airlines. Swiss business is definitely better, from personal experience. Austrian seems to mirror Swiss.

MarcusGB
    Participant

I recently also flew on a TAP A321 Neo, which they now run frequent A320/1 on their LHR-LIS route.
    I noticed they also had many A333 Neo aircraft in Lisbon, being The Launch customer of these Neo aircraft.

Whilst i bought an “Economy Extra” choice of the 4 fares on this day before purchased flight, (Due to French ATC Strikes), i did find the seat had comfortable legroom.
    However a separate meal was brought to you (which regardless was very poor and unhealthy), , in about 4 rows behind the sparsely occupied Business class of 7 rows.
    These were the same seats, but merely the middle kept free.

It did seem overall, that this Neo jet was designed for the Airline and not for the Passenger, in maximising revenue and seats.
    Even the crew had very little space to work in at the front, and no screen or “wall” but a mere partial glass panel between them and the first rows. Little privacy for them, and not great for those in the first few rows travelling either, with noise or movement.

Between Business and “Economy Xtra”, there was a curtain that only covered the aisle, not across to each side, which seemed rather bizarre hanging with clear views of the business cabin. TAP were not a notable experience, with only one service in this 3 hr flight from Lisbon into LHR, and crews that were neither bothering to engage or provide anything but the minimum of service.

I was hoping for a new good experience of the Neo aircraft, and whilst an Airline could certainly tailor make what they want inside these new aircraft, this provided me with nothing special, but a “Crammed” impression of them.
    As is the theme these days, profit in the design seemed to be more important than the experience of the passengers.
    I much preferred the B739 Experience on KLM flying out, in their Economy Comfort seats, overall cabin seating and service, so the Neo, provided nothing enticing for me to choose in the future.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls