Loyalty programmes and how they distort traveller behaviour

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

• capetonianm
    Participant

capetonianm
    Participant
    This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.
    How about the people who deal with expense claims?

Perhaps when someone reports a posting for ‘inappropriate content’ they could have the decency and the backbone to firstly put their name to the report and secondly to state exactly what it is they find ‘inappropriate’. (Unless in error of course as pointed out by K1ngston.)
    Thank you.

K1ngston
    Participant

maybe in error capetonianm I certainly didnt ….

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

The system doesn’t allow me to see who has made the Report, just the fact of it being made.
    Periodically I go through and unreport most of them, but as you could see from the Forum this morning, the priority is on deleting all the spam we get.
    Tom

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The craziest travel policy imposed on me, was in my previous firm and implemented over the last 2 years. My work involves clients across UK, USA, Europe and Asia. When I was travelling outside of the legal jurisdiction UK, I was not allowed to speak to or email clients in the UK. Latterly, I could not even speak to the clients in the USA, if I was in the USA. I have never used an OoO message until that point, after all , we all live in a global market and whether I am in London or Thailand, a phone call and an email take the same amount of effort. I was subsequently allowed to email clients – as long as all emails sent from overseas, were sent first to my PA in the UK, who would forward to the client from the UK based server.

I left that company in January of this year and am now very happily in a new professional home which has a common sense attitude to communications.. & travel policies.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=851134]I joined an organisation that agreed 3 flights a year home for me, and after the first one bought paid for and flown I claimed back for the airfare for someone in the accounts team to say that she needed the boarding pass to prove I flew??? I said of course I flew why would I buy a ticket submit the receipt for said flight and not get on the plane??
    Anyway they were adamant they were not going to pay and I was even more adamant that they were and i harassed this specimen for about a week until she said I just cant trust you to have got the flight!!
    Bingo… an email to HR demanding her to retract the accusation that I was defrauding the company and if not I would take it further…. Payment made next day and the excuse that it was her English she didnt understand (US expat living in Asia) !!!!!!!!!
    Bet we all have expense story nightmares …..
    [/quote]

And the stupidity is that a boarding pass does not have a full date on it.

capetonianm
    Participant

We also had to submit boarding passes.
    Yep, I didn’t fly back from Johannesburg to London, I walked to Cape Town, swam from there to Land’s End, skateboarded to London, and pocketed the air fare. All in 12 hours.
    In fact it was to stop people downgrading and pocketing the difference as an MCO, which did happen.

I submitted an ‘F’ boarding pass once for an SAA flight JNB-LHR (one of the worst ‘F’ flights I have ever taken but that’s another story) and the expenses department sent me a snotty email :
    “Can you explain why you travelled back from JNB in F.”
    My reply was : “No.”
    They came back : “Can you please expand on your previous email.”
    So I sent back :
    ” N N N N N N N N O O O O O O O. I trust that is sufficiently explanded.
    PS I have no intention of explaining why I came back in F. It is nothing to do with you, did not cost the company any money, and I do not have to justify it.”

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls