Lounge in JNB

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• DNAdams
    Participant

Please may I ask for some advice.

I find myself with a 6 hour layover in JNB before my BA flight to LHR on 16th Feb. Can anyone recommend the best lounge that has paid access in Termanal A. I don’t have BAEC status anymore and flying PE with no lounge access.

There seems to be several in Terminal A so would like to choose the nicest if possible considering the layover length.

Thank you for your advice.
    David

LuganoPirate
    Participant

The nicest lounge I think is the Virgin lounge, but I’m pretty sure they don’t allow paid visits. Otherwise the Shongolola lounge is not too bad, the food is reasonable and there’s a good selection of alcoholic beverages. It does get quite crowded though from about 6pm when all the long haul flights are leaving. Marginally better is the Bidvest lounge and they allow free entry with various premium credit cards.

Personally with 6 hours to kill, as happens when I’m travelling via JNB to George airport, I ignore the Bidvest lounges and go over to the Intercontinental, just over the road, a safe one minute walk. The bar / lounge / restaurant area is very nice with good wifi. A R.50 (R.100 if more than 1 bag) tip to the porters and they’ll look after your bag in a secure area. There are always plenty of trolleys outside for when you go back.

3 users thanked author for this post.

DNAdams
    Participant

Thank you Luganopirate,

This information is very helpful.

I have looked into the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse, which is operated by Plaza Premium Group in JNB and does allow paid visits. However, it is double the price of the other lounges (R.630).

I wonder if it’s worth it?

Nick Pike
    Participant

It’s a while since I have been to the Virgin lounge in JNB but from memory it was nothing particularly special and certainly not on a par with LHR (hardly surprising given that it only serves one or two flights a day). I’d spend your R630 in the Intercontinental instead as suggested above.

1 user thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Actually none of the lounges at JNB are particularly special, but having been to quite a few, the Virgin offering is definitely the best. You order the food from a menu, which has a good selection, and it is freshly prepared. But check the opening times. It used to only open at 5pm but perhaps with 2 flights it’s now open earlier.

When Swiss used it for their F pax I was looked after by a very nice attendant, John. I don’t know if he’s still there?

1 user thanked author for this post.

DNAdams
    Participant

I am currently in the Virgin lounge at JNB. Booked a 3 hour slot from 6pm and they let me in early at 5pm.

It was full on arrival but now almost empty as last VS flight leaves at 19.25.

Food nice and fresh. Wines very good and great selection of cocktails. Very happy waiting for my BA flight in a few hours time.

2 users thanked author for this post.

K1ngston
    Participant

SIA use the Virgin lounge at JNB so I have used it regularly in the last 4 months, I have to say the service, food and all round ambience is good and sets you up for a 11 hour flight back to SIN…

I also used the BA lounge there recently and whilst very busy the food and drink was plentiful and actually very tasty…
    Enjoy!

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls