Lounge access T5

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Anonymous

BAGoldcard
    Participant

As BA is the sole occupant of T5, the terminal only provides lounges that can be used by passengers travelling in First or Club, or have oneworld/BA Silver or Gold status.

The only option, which is not cheap, I believe, is to purchase membership of Qantas Club, which you should be able to see on the Qantas website. The alternative is to make use of the range of restaurant and bars in T5.

Travellator
    Participant

No !

VintageKrug
    Participant

You can pay extra at http://www.ba.com in Manage My Booking online to upgrade your class of travel, starting from about fifty pounds in Club Europe (CE). This gives you Galleries/Terraces lounge access.

You can pay for Qantas Club Access.

You earn enough Tier Points to gain a Silver/Sapphire oneworld card which (in the UK) allows BA Terraces/Galleries access on any BA fare. This can be gained for residents of Continental Europe after just ten CE sectors.

You cannot pay to get into a BA Lounge *except* at some (usually non BA owned) outstations which share the lounge with Priority Pass customers, where you can use you Priority Pass to gain access either as part of your membership or for a fee, depending on your Priority Pass membership level.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Or, as Travellator very succinctly pointed out the answer is also:

“No!”

travelworld
    Participant

It’s around £430 to join the Qantas Club for a year, less per annum if you join for longer. That gives you(and a guest) lounge access to all Oneworld business class lounges when flying on a Oneworld airline. If you fly a lot on BA in economy it may be worth it if you don’t achieve Silver BA status by all the flights you take, if you see what I mean.

wishee71
    Participant

If you travel frequently then irrespective of class of travel you should soon reach, at the very least, silver status and then you have access to the lounge. There is a very good reason you cannot pay to get in. Some airlines still attach a value in terms of loyalty to their havens of calm.

binabdulaziz
    Participant

Mr wishee71, he say “There is a very good reason you cannot pay to get in”

Me, I say the very good reason is British Airways have monoply in this terminal.

Even in Riyadh, you can find Priority Pass lounge, although Saudia lounge is nicer.

wishee71
    Participant

Off course they have monopoly in this terminal, it is their home. By virtue of the fact that you are in that specific terminal you are likely to be traveling on BA. Most of the other terminals at Heathrow have Priority Pass lounges and to be fair T5 is quite well catered for in terms of seating and restaurants etc. Trust me I am no fan of BA but the question was about lounge access and I for one like the fact that certain lounges around the world do not have paid access.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

The exclusivity element of the T5 Lounges is important, though if they charged GBP40 for entry (max 2 hours before flight), they would achieve another revenue stream and the level of the fee would be enough for the “riff raff”, which many frequent travellers are keen to avoid, to be disuaded from entering.
    Does anyone really buy a Club ticket for lounge access these days??? I doubt it!
    The Qantas Club membership is great. Most renewals cost only around AUD320 if you are on a corporate scheme and you get that back in comfort and food/beverage in only a few visits. This is especially useful in Australia. However, I don’t think QF offer corporate deals to the Qantas Club outside Australasia.

VintageKrug
    Participant

There are several good outlets where you can sit and enjoy good food, great views and seclusion from the hubbub in T5; Plane Food is an excellent compromise and highly recommended, especially for the Eggs Benedict in the morning.

There is also a pay as you go treatment Spa in T5B for massages etc.

SwissExPat
    Participant

I cannot fathom how BAA who run T5 do not have a ‘ServisAir’ or other such generic lounge in T5.

Why is it an exception?

I am a priority card holder and would use it if it were there. As it stands I have a BA silver card and hence can use the BA galleries in T5 but I will struggle to have it renewed this year and if I loose it, I will change to use other Non T5 carriers such as LH and LX who operate from a terminal that has a Priority lounge access (also possible use LGW)

My guess is that there are many proprity pass holders who are not FA Silver or above or in Club and hence have no lounge access at T5 (and might also use other carriers as a result!!!!)

RichHI1
    Participant

I believe Servisair lounges are funded in part by airlines who use them for their passengers. As there are no non IAG flights from T5 there would be no such airlines. There are some airports in US where there are no Priority CLub lounges available as they are single carrier terminals.

Binman62
    Participant

And there are very few in Australia especially in international terminals.

rferguson
    Participant

I believe Qantas Club access to gain access to BA lounges when travelling economy/WTP has been stopped.

This happened end of November 2011.

Qantas.com now only lists the Terminal 3 LHR lounge as giving access to Qantas Club members as it is a joint operated lounge.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls