Lounge access on QR business class award tickets – advice please!

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• IanFromHKG
    Participant

Dear all

The Memsahib and I (and Junior Offpsring) are all booked QR business class redemption flights (using Asia Miles) from MAD (via DOH, of course) to HKG at the end of the summer.

I have seen various articles dating from late 2020 which contain contradictory information about whether lounge access is included for award tickets, especially for those without status. Now, as it happens, we all have status (the Memsahib and I are oneworld emerald, Junior Offspring is oneworld sapphire) so I *think* we will all get lounge access, although I am not sure which lounge. I am aware that our emerald status will not get us F lounge access in DOH.

If anyone can tell me what we will get I would be tremendously grateful.

I would add that we were able to select seats in advance (as a oneworld perk, presumably) so fingers crossed our other oneworld benefits will operate too!

Can’t tell you how much we are looking forward to travelling again (or how much we are NOT looking forward to being quarantined on our return home despite being fully vaccinated (sigh)).

Ian

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=1100379]

I don’t know the answer. but I think my tactic in the circumstances would be to write to QR and ask if your ticket class and OW status will entitle you to lounge access on this trip.

If they reply “yes”, print the reply and take it with you. If they reply “no”, I would try to gain access to the lounge anyway, on the off chance they let you in.

Good luck!

EU_Flyer
    Participant

I recently travelled QR with an 8 hour transit in DOH in Business on a basic Business fare (with lounge expressly excluded). I was given access to Al Mourjan based on my oneworld status. The F Al Safwa lounge was closed anyway. Not sure about the oneworld lounge they send Y status holders but the fact you’re all ticketed in Business with OW status should get you through.

Safe travels!

LHRCX12345
    Participant

Hi Ian,

I travelled on QR on an AsiaMiles business class redemption ticket in Feb 2021 (SIN-DOH-LHR) and can confirm that I was able to enter Al Mourjan without any issues. They just scanned my ticket at the bottom of the long Al Mourjan escalator and happily waved me through. Al Safwa was closed – and in any case, previously in 2019, they did not allow me entry using my OW status (I’m a CX DM) and directed me to use Al Mourjan.

Safe travels!

AleRomUY
    Participant

Dear Ian,
    The key thing here is that if you are OneWorld Emerald (like me, from being QR Platinum), that’s a plus.
    If you were already able to select seats, then access to lounge should be granted.
    In my case, even if I purchase the cheapest Biz class fare (without lounge and seat selection), I will still get those perks due to my status with them.
    In case of award tickets, I guess it applies the same.
    Anyway, safe travels!!
    Alejandro

cwoodward
    Participant

Possibly helpful.
    Below an online response from December 2020

“We have also not made any changes to award ticket policies as a result of fare family changes. Our valued Qatar Airways Privilege Club members booking a Business Class award flight will receive the same benefits as before including complimentary lounge access and seat allocation.”

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Many thanks to all, just the answers I was hoping to hear! It does sounds as though we will get lounge access and I am looking forward to trying QR for the first time! Not to mention just getting on a ‘plane and having a proper holiday!

Ian

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=1100449]

Since opening, the Al Safwa lounge has only ever been accessible by QR first pax. Alliance status has never been accepted as a route in there. That is why, when you do go in, it is always virtually empty.

AleRomUY
    Participant

@ Esselle
    Before closing it due to pandemic, only QR First Class passengers AND QR Platinum members IF flying on Biz class. I entered several times because of that, Biz + QR Platinum. I guess they were not allowing anybody else.

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=1100679]

Thanks for the update. I haven’t flown QR first since July 2019 (and did so regularly for 3 years prior) so it’s interesting to see they’ve adapted their policy. I wonder if it’s to do with the lifting of the blockade?

CAI
    Participant

Last week I booked a paid Qatar biz class fare LHR to CPT via DOH for travel Feb 2022. Booked ‘Classic’ fare which excludes lounge access and seat selection before check-in (which by the way was £600 cheaper return than the next fare class up which includes these 2 benefits). I am BA Silver and entered my BA Exec number and was pleasantly surprised to find out that I WAS allowed to select seats on all 4 legs. I understand that I WILL be able to use any One World lounge throughout. As readers will no doubt know, this trip will bring 560 Tier points so almost enough to renew Silver status.

paperwind
    Participant

Hi
    Is the flights from Doha to Dubai in business class still classifed as first class and therefore the PAX will be allowed to the first class lounge?
    Thanks

SGJNI1961
    Participant

No. It is only ‘First” in local Business, or booked in International First, which is very limited. DOH to DXB used to book into F. Not checked lately, it still might. The Al Safwa lounge is odd, almost always empty, great food and drink but the atmosphere of a cave or church!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls