Loud Talk & Laughter in front Galley

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

• Anonymous

judynagy
    Participant

I have been flying Continental forever. I always sit in 1B or E so nobody can recline into my work space and there’s more legroom. The only drawback to those seats are the cabin crew yelling at each other in the galley, sometimes for an hour. Two sit, one or two stand across the aisle and they have endless loud conversations. I’ve flown international carriers who have “quiet” signs in the galley so I know it’s not just me who is bothered by the noise. I have no idea what to do about this; it happens on 3/4 of the flights. Any suggestions?

c3focus
    Participant

I suggest that you post a comment on twitter to get fast response, but ultimately you will need to complain to customer service in writing. With only 140 letters, use a recent flt# and short explanation, such as: “Flt#1 @continental loud and noisy crew in first class galley. V. difficult to work or sleep w/distraction.” Obviously, use your words to get a response from the Continental staff. They will driect you where to go for help with your problem.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hi Judy

Hence the reason why I perfer to travel on the 747 over an airbus, because there are two seat positions that keep you away from the galley. Either in First, row 1 or upstairs in club row 60 (BA). We all have our favourite seats, in my case I would definately prefer row 60 upstairs on BA over row 5 downstairs in First. Strange as it may appear, I do turn down upgrades to First, when allocated row 5, when they happen, because, its not only the loud crew chitter chatter, but also the preperation of the meal service with the carts being slammed into position and the symphonic sound of the knives and forks being position on the trays.

When you ask the crew to kindly keep to the noise down, it is generally met with ” how dare you even ask us to keep quiet”.

The other noise issue is the way the European crews slam the overhead storage bins shut, whereas the Thai crews for example are taught to use the latch to close the bins quietly.

The forward galley on the 747,especially with BA and Virgin, appear to be used by the crew as a gathering area as they know the food offerings are more interesting and there seems to be a continual gathering.

The best advice I can give you Judy and this is how I plan my flights, is to check the aircraft and seat plans. I fly to DFW and Altlanta and will avoid a 777. On my BKK sectors, unless I am able to sit in rows 1 or 2 in F or 60 in Club on BA I tend to change the depearture date if necerssary to ensure the flight is on a 747.

If I have to use an airbus, i will try to sit towards the middle of the cabin to keep as far away from the forward and mid galley.

I hope that this helps.

Martyn

VintageKrug
    Participant

Just ask nicely; easily done. Absolutely no reason for them not to understand if it’s done in the right way.

I just don’t understand people who sit in silence on board and then come on to message boards to moan; we can’t help you.

If there’s a problem which can be resolved there and then, that is what you should do.

TravelFan
    Participant

VK – of course you are right that the obvious first possibility is to ask the crew but as MartynSinclair pointed out the response is often likely to be less than sympathetic and as a passenger you normally want to avoid annoying the staff since you are dependent on them for your well-being during the flight. Also, the problem is systemic rather than a one-off so I agree with judynagy that this is a frustrating issue, and thus your rather categoric rejection of the subject, VK, is unwarranted in my view.

Sparepocket
    Participant

I hate to admit it but VK might be right on this one, there is no point in suffering in silence. Having said that, TravelFan is ALSO right in that a passenger really does not want to alienate the crew.

My suggestion would be to get a peek at the miscreant crew member’s/members’ name/names and make an official complaint.

I find VS’s and EK’s crew particularly prone to discussing their recreational habits (shopping & f***ing) somewhat loudly and undecorously.

Don’t airlines hire girls who have been to finishing schools anymore?:o)

We seem to be stuck with Katie Price clones and ‘glamma model’ aspirants!

Stowage222
    Participant

Firstly I know that a lot of crew do try and ‘keep it down’ especially on night sectors. It’s not worth complaining after the event as nothing will happen – at best a general reminder in the crew magazine from management! Best policy is to have a quiet word with the in-charge crew member and let them deal with the noisy crew. That will stop it.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I fully expect this post to come back and haunt me, but hard as it is to admit – VintageKrug is right about another “disturbance” issue (mentioned in another thread), which I noticed for the first time, last week (yes, I was upstairs in 60J).

The carpets or floor padding is so thin, upstairs, that I was contstantly disturbed though the night by the stomping up and down the aisles by heavy footed crew going into the flight deck and passengers using the forward toilet. I did mention this to the crew, who showed sympathy, but merely commented that they have been waiting for the new floor covering and insulations on some of the older 747’s. It didnt make them any lighter on their feet!!

I have to admit that when his lordship mentioned this sometime ago, I hadnt noticed it then, but last week, it was an issue.

I have a day flight in 60J in a couple of weeks, so this shouldnt be an issue then, but will let you know what happens on the return.

Sparepocket
    Participant

Maybe BA should get the “heavy footed” crew to lose some weight!Air India often gets its more tubby attendants to hold off from scoffing the pies (or, in this case, samosas!).
    Also, don’t BA provide super-super noise-cancelling headsets in Business and First? Do the headsets not cancel out the noise?
    I think we should be told!

VintageKrug
    Participant

MartynSinclair – 25/02/2011 10:20 GMT “VintageKrug is right”

😉

MartynSinclair
    Participant

it only took 15 minutes for the haunting to start………………..

VintageKrug
    Participant

MartynSinclair is quite clearly wrong to state that “[the haunting} only took 15 minutes to start”.

It is quite clear to everyone that the haunting took 35 minutes to start.

😉

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbJsLSxCuoQ

Flyboy18
    Participant

Earplugs maybe?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

use double padded earplugs from Boots, not the ones supplied in the blue pouch. Still doesnt kill the stampede!!

See, VK, the hanuting is already affecting my sense of time keeping!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls