Lost skis!

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Cloud-9
    Participant

Monarch has mislaid my son’s skis today.

He is going to borrow some (inferior ones) from the ski lodge but what redress does he have in this stuation? Is there an EU ruling please?

As he is only a way a week, it is frustrating to say the least.

Thankyou.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

travel insurance?

Cloud-9
    Participant

I wondered if there was a ruling similar to EC261 for delayed baggage? He has travel insurance but it is still inconvenient

TominScotland
    Participant

Cloud-9, I think you need to get in very quickly on this one. I do believe that there is a specific clause in the Great Repeal Bill which will invalidate access, in the UK, to the ‘European Law on the Rights of EU Citizens to Substantial Redress for Lost Skis and the Associated Emotional Trauma of Having to Use Inferior Equipment in Front of Your Friends When on the Piste” – also abbreviated as the ‘Primum Problema Orbis Law’.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=794712]Cloud-9, I think you need to get in very quickly on this one. I do believe that there is a specific clause in the Great Repeal Bill which will invalidate access, in the UK, to the ‘European Law on the Rights of EU Citizens to Substantial Redress for Lost Skis and the Associated Emotional Trauma of Having to Use Inferior Equipment in Front of Your Friends When on the Piste” – also abbreviated as the ‘Primum Problema Orbis Law’.

[/quote]

I find that an unhelpful comment. If you think you are being clever, well you’re not – to a serious skiier, using inferior equipment will mean not skiing to full potential and thus a loss of enjoyment.

OP, I’m afraid I am not aware of any legislation that will assist, unless the skis are permanently lost.

Maybe one of the lawyers on the forum could point you in the right direction of information as to whether your son could hire the right type of equipment (if it is available in the resort) and then chargeback the airline or even take action for ‘loss of enjoyment’ and recover that way.

I hope that the airline swiftly delivers his skis, so he can enjoy the holiday.

TominScotland
    Participant

Come on, FDOS, not trying to be clever but trying to keep this into proportion and maybe introduce a touch of humour. An EU ruling? Insurance claim, fine and a bit of spleen vented, certainly…….

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@Cloud9, I know this comment will be viewed as “closing the stable door after…..”, but I would not dream of allowing my son to check in his golf clubs without there a “bag tracker” inside his golf bag.

Knowing where a lost item actually is reduces the stress levels dramatically, especially as happened to me in Miami a year or so back, when the agent said my bag was in London and I was able to show him on my computer it was in the baggage hall less than a 100 meters from where we were standing.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Hi Martyn,

Yes, absolutely right. Since mislaying a set of keys (including a Banham one that is both expensive and a pain to replace), I went and ordered a set of key fobs from TheTrackR.com. They are pretty small, very light and can easily be attached to or hidden within a bag. Now all of my and Senior Management’s keys and baggage (plus her handbag) are trackable pretty much anywhere from my/her iPhones. They could, as easily, be attached/taped to a ski bag or whatever. The TrackR fobs also allow you to find where you’ve left your iPhone…!

BTW, I have no commercial relationship with TheTrackR.com beyond being a customer.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=794756]Come on, FDOS, not trying to be clever but trying to keep this into proportion and maybe introduce a touch of humour. An EU ruling? Insurance claim, fine and a bit of spleen vented, certainly…….

[/quote]

Words fail me; someone’s (expensive) holiday potentially ruined and you feel that you are the arbitrator of proportion?

As it happens, there is an ‘EU Ruling’ (to use your incorrect terminology) that covers airline baggage, it is EC889/2002, but unfortunately it will not assist the OP’s son with this delay.

Insurance would cover the damage or loss to the skis, nothing will restore the lost enjoyment that the OP’s son suffers from not having his own skis available.

I guess one cannot learn empathy.

Charles-P
    Participant

TomInScotland – As a keen skier I was disturbed to read of the proposed changes to ski equipment loss compensation after the Brexit. This is my mind is an issue that did not receive enough discussion in the run up to the vote. Has anyone thought of asking the great and mighty Farage for an opinion, I understand his future employment prospects are somewhat shaky and as such he is prepared to comment on just about anything at the drop of a hat.

Cloud-9
    Participant

Kudos to Monarch. They kept my son informed and the skis were delivered last night.

Thanks for TrackR advice: I shall look at that in future that as it is only the second time he has used them

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@cloud9- try trakdot.com for tracking luggage… (and I am only a customer of the company, not an owner)

thecartoonman
    Participant

TominScotland 6th March 2017 at 03:11

For what it’s worth, I did chuckle at your comment and took it in the spirit that it was intended, sometimes this forum just get’s far too serious.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls