Loss of Room Service

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• Anonymous

StewartKidd1
    Participant

Can’t see that the recent announcement by Hilton that they are planning to phase-out room service at their largest NY property has been picked up in another thread but I’d be interested in whether other members find this a seriously retrograde step.

Like most airlines, I consider 24 hr room service an essential requirement of any 4 star and above hotel and simply won’t stay in a property where it is not provided.

The stresses and strains of travel today are bad enough without requiring us to make the effort to go and sit in a hotel restaurant when all we really want is a bowl or soup and a sandwich.

StephenLondon
    Participant

There is no requirement to sit in a restaurant…the press release talked about offering something called “Herb ‘n’ Kitchen concept, which is a grab and go offering flat-bread pizzas, sandwiches and Illy coffee. I cannot see where this is a 24-hr operation, but think it might be given the size of the hotel.

craigwatson
    Participant

I have to agree, there is no way I would stay in a hotel that did not room service.

StewartKidd1
    Participant

Stephen – the thought of pizza for dinner in a hotel appalls me – but that is probably a generational thing. Regardless of which, it still requires a trip out of the room which in my case probably requires getting dressed – not something I wish to do after a journey.

dutchyankee
    Participant

I was likewise surprised by this announcement. But knowing this hotel, its location, they can probably get away with it, although I am a die hard user of Room Service!

Are we talking about the Millennium Hilton?

dutchyankee
    Participant

No, the 2000+ room property on Ave. of the Americas.

NNoah16
    Participant

What people do in most NYC hotels is order in from the 100’s of local restaurants (delivery) rather than from the hotel room service. The hotel cannot compete so it makes complete sense!
    It is cool at this property to receive a food delivery, it has been in NYC since the late 70s actually.

Thanks dutchyankee. I’m not familiar with that one.

Welcome back!

pdtraveller
    Participant

My choice of hotel is never influenced by the availability of room service. The lack of somewhere to eat in the hotel or very close by ( wlaking distance) would.

dutchyankee
    Participant

Thanks Alexpo1, nice to be reading and joining the forum again. I have been back and forth to Russia lately and have not checked in, but have plenty of time today, so really enjoying the forum.

The Hilton New York is OK, just huge, and rather impersonal. I really love the Millenium Hilton, and my better half loves the location next to world famous Century 21!!!

Hi dutchyankee

I know Century 21 very well even though I am not a shopper! My brother lives within walking distance but I prefer to stay there as it has smoking rooms! Overpriced, but hey it’s NYC.

dutchyankee
    Participant

Exactly, but you might want to try the new Conrad if you like Hilton family of hotels as it is fantastic too. I have always enjoyed the staff at the Millenium, however.

What a coincidence – he lives on same street as the Conrad, but probably way above my budget!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls