Looking for inspiration

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Anonymous

JeffD
    Participant

I am looking for inspiration. I have either worked or been on call for the last 5 christmas’s allowing colleagues with small families have the time off.

I have just booked annual leave from the 20th December 2015 for 16 days. I want to travel with my partner to somehwere different, away from the main tourist spots. Ideally I want to spend about £5-6,000 on the trip. Any ideas………

MrMichael
    Participant

Jefferydavison, I am guessing as you stated away from the main tourist spots your not after sunshine. Could I suggest a flight to Bergen Norway for Xmas staying at Scandic Strand followed by a 7 or 8 night trip on the Hurtigruten for New Year. Time it right for NYE midnight in Trondheim. It will give you some spectacular scenery, albeit plenty of darkness at that time of the year and a chance of the Northern Lights. Tourists will be few on the ground. Then fly back from Kirkeness or Bodo, perhaps with a couple of days in Oslo, or if budget permits, a day or two on Spitzbergen where you could go looking for polar bears.

edit, Trondheim should read Tromso….

Carajillo2Sugar
    Participant

Probably best to avoid skiing in the French Alps……

With your budget, you should be able to get something rather nice in the warm Caribbean sun (Aruba, The Caymans, St. Lucia, Antigua).

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’d suggest heading south to South Africa. Fly to Cape Town, spend a few days at the Mount Nelson then head along the Garden Route. Stop off at the Gondwana Game Reserve (where I am now and have a home) and join the home owners for our Christmas lunch. Then drop your car at George Airport and fly to Victoria Falls via JNB. Despite it being high season it’s still very quiet and you’ll have a fantastic time!

travelworld2
    Participant

Gorilla trekking in Rwanda. It’s safe, relatively straightforward in that you don’t need to be at the peak of physical fitness to do it and the accommodation is of a very high standard. The opportunity to spend time in one of Africa’s least understood countries is one not to be missed.

WillieWelsh
    Participant

At this time of the year the climate is generally perfect in Thailand. Dry and temperatures in the upper 20s though the Thais think it is cold and often have their coats on. Bangkok is easy to see and then travel to other places is very reasonably priced and there are usually very good buys in hotels.

Tallinnman
    Participant

Start off in Rovaniemi to get the Christmas feeling going with a spot of snowmobiling! Then head off somewhere hot from HEL, ARN or OSL on a cracking deal with AY, Qatar or similar in the front cabin. AY will hopefully go to Miami again next year which is a great stepping stone to Cartagena – a simply stunning place.

travelworld2
    Participant

Jeffreydavison- do tell us where you end up going!

AzookiTravel
    Participant

Hello Jefferydavison,

We believe that exploring Southeast Asia will fit your travel goal, since there are still lots of hidden paradise waiting for you to discover. You can go to the undeveloped and untouched island in the Philippines or visit the hill tribes in Laos.

Hope this helps. Have a safe trip.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls