Longhaul comparisons

Back to Forum
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• TominScotland
    Participant

I have made 21 long-/ medium-haul flights so far this year (with a similar number to look forward to over the next 6 months) – less than many colleagues on this Forum, I know but the variety of airlines and aircraft I have flown with got me thinking about comparing the experiences during these travels.

The airlines in question are

BA (6 flights)
    QR (6 flights)
    CX (4 flights)
    EK (2 flights)
    KL (1 flight)
    KY (1 flight)
    QF (1 flight)

The aircraft I have flown on are

A380 (BA)
    A350 (CX)
    A330 (CX)
    A319 (QR Europe – Doha)
    B777-300 (BA, EK, CX, QR, KY)
    B777-200 (BA)
    B787-8 (QR)
    B787-9 (BA)
    B747 (BA, KL)
    B737 (QF Trans-Tasman)

Classes booked within the 21 flights

Business (5QR, 1 QF, 1 BA))
    Premium Economy (3 BA)
    Economy Comfort (1 KL – booked as Economy but status allocation)
    Economy (the balance of flights)

Upgrades

Economy to Premium Economy (2 BA, 1 CX)
    Economy to Business (1 QR, 1 BA)
    Premium Economy to Business (1 BA)

Personal greetings from CSD

BA (5)
    QR (6)
    CX (2)

Best/ worst seat

Business – QR (A319)was the most comfortable; QR (B777) and BA are equally very average in comfort terms, QR wins out on space.
    Premium Economy – BA on B777-300 is the best; BA 777-200 and 747 is no more than OK, CX is OK
    Economy – KL Economy Comfort for legroom; BA for overall comfort (had exit rows a couple of times!!). QR, EK and KY in Economy are not particularly pleasant

Best/ worst catering

Business – QR by a mile
    Premium Economy – only really tested BA and that is good for the first meal, poor for the second (Economy)
    Economy – EK

Service

BA overall across all classes were consistently quite good (only one Mixed Fleet flight on the 777-300 to SIN and service was engaged and good); QR were excellent in Business but less so in Economy; CX are efficient and friendly. Other airlines – insufficient experience this period.

IFE

I am a sado, I read, follow the maps and maybe listen to music so not really able to judge. EK’s music selection wins by a mile for me.

Overall best Business – QR
    Overall best Premium Economy – BA on 777-300 (not 777-200/747) (only flew CX on medium-haul and with limited service)
    Overall best Economy – BA/ KL if you can get Economy Comfort (but location is not great on 747)

I am sure that other posters will challenge or agree with my experience but thought I would share them anyway!!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Looks like a reasonable comparison.

Just to add three points, I’d put QF Premium on a par with BA for the seats (it is the same as the 773/787), but the F&B is better IMO.

JU (Air Serbia) has very good F&B in midhaul business, but I found the seat disappointing – it looked lovely, but wasn’t as comfortable as a BA/QF W seat (I know others may disasgree, as they have expressed good things about it).

As a heavy BA miffed fleet user, my nickname for them probably tells it’s own story – I’ve experienced everything from enthusiastic, but not polished (apologies for stealing this term from another poster) to disengaged. Overall, not great, but I’ll point out that the union members of this fleeet have been in dispute with BA for about 7 months and it is high time it was resolved, so they can focus on their work.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls