Longest lasting suitcase

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Anonymous

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

On another thread, Papillon mentions a long lasting Tesco suitcase.

So who has the case that has endured the most flight segments and how much did it cost? Who bought a cheap one that performed very well?

I have a little black Rimowa IATA trolley (polycarbonate) that stung me for about 250€ in 2007.

I reckon it has endured about 350 flight segments in the hold (I don;t count cabin trips) – it did develop a couple of cracks in the shell around the bolts that secure the extendable handle in 2011, but a couple of bits of chopped up obsolete credit cards and lashings of Araldite fixed those.

So, my approximation is that it has cost me 250€/350 = 71 cents (61p per segment) and thus is very good value for money.

Papillion53
    Participant

I had a lovely ivory hard shell Samsonite suitcase with matching vanity case which I cherished from the minute I bought it in Selfridges, I think in the early 80’s. It was beautifully lined and I loved it. It lasted me well until the early 90’s when it got bent and twisted after a trip to Zimbabwe – I reckon It got thrown off the Air Zimbabwe aircraft! I can’t remember how much I paid for it but I do remember it was a good part of my week’s wages back then!

1nfrequent
    Participant

I bought a Delsey soft trolley case with expanding zip for extra room in 2004 at a cost of £120. That was an astronomical sum for me at the time but the salesman assured me it would last for 10 years and 9 years on it’s still going strong. It does 2 long haul trips each year and several short haul ones and domestic weekends away. It’s also survived 8 house moves.

1F

JimboEe
    Participant

I purchased a Rimowa aluminium case (the brushed metal looking one) which after a couple of trips in the hold already started to look like it had been to the moon and back, towed behind a shuttle – just after two trips, it already had a HUGE dent in the side, and numerous scuffs and dents. Never again.

A tiny Tripp wheelie purchased in Debs in Belfast at least 10 years ago which has been RTW and is so small I believe it complies with Ryanair’s regs…..and a much more expensive rucksack which I no longer use because I don’t know where I left it.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

JimboEe – 07/08/2013 21:46 GMT

I know what you mean, I had the 75 litre size in one of these.

It lasted for years, but looked appalling 🙁

stevescoots
    Participant

I have an eminet bought from a side street in Hong kong for 30 quid 10 years ago, the handle on it finally gave out after 8 years and what must be around 550 hold trips, I couldn’t bear to part with it so its now storing part of my record collection!

have a big Samsonite for 2 years, done about 100 segments and cost about 100 quid, its a bit battered on the corners and has lost half its zip handles but should go for another 100.

on the other hand I bought my son a hard shell Elle ABS case for atrip to the US..it only lasted 2 sectors before it cracked

esselle
    Participant

Briggs and Riley.

Must have done 800 flights, standing up to it better than me.

JordanD
    Participant

I’ve had cause on more than one occasion to pick up some ‘cheap’ Dunlop luggage at Lillywhites – always discounted, often heavily.

Of the 5 or 6 bags I’ve bought from there at various times, only 1 has failed ‘in short order’ (less than ten trips), the rest are all (or have all) done sterling service, which on a pro rata (cost to number of legs) basis is up there with the more ‘solid’ Samonsite hard case which only really gets trotted out for the longer holidays.

SwissExPat
    Participant

I use a Tumi duffle bag (with telescopic stroller handle) for hold luggage. The black ballistic nylon version.

Hugely robust, lawyer 10 years and then had the handle fixed by tumi London so almost new gain.

No complaints.

Venetia
    Participant

Just wanted to say that I love esselle’s answer!

First laugh of my day 🙂 xx

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

I still regularly use a suitcase that dates from 1945.

The suitcase – hand luggage size – was given out by the British government to soldiers being dismissed from the army at the end of the 2nd world war. Each soldier was given a suit, a hat (considered essential wear in those days), a raincoat (essential in Britain whatever the era!) and this suitcase, to enable them to go up and down the country looking for work.

The suitcase is made of thick heavy-duty cardboard, with plastic corner-pieces to strengthen it and some basic waterproofing sprayed on it (I think – anyway it does not get wet). Over the years I have had to mend the hinges, put heavy tape over holes in the cardboard and replace one of the catches, but it is the ideal size, far lighter and sturdier than a modern equivalent, and an essential part of my business travel kit.

My briefcase dates from 1924 …

esselle
    Participant

Cedric

Sounds like a Globetrotter.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls