Long Haul Hand Baggage Only fares from Air France – who is next?

Back to Forum

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  AMcWhirter 9 Jan 2018
at 16:15

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Readers will have seen Alex McWhirter’s piece on Air France and its promotional Hand Baggage Only (HBO) fares

Air France trials transatlantic HBO fares

As Alex asks in the piece…

“So the big question now is when, rather than if, British Airways and American Airlines (who operate a JV) will follow suit.”

canucklad
    Participant

I’m incredibly sceptical when it comes to these fares.
    To me it’s all smoke and mirrors

My experience of BA’s HBO fares suggests that the airline is not creating a saving for the customer, but are in practice placing a restriction on where currently one doesn’t exist.

And as a consequence, have compounded the issue of too much carry-on luggage in the cabin.
    An issue that irritates the hell out of me and others who contribute to this forum.
    If I had a pound for every time I hear the volunteer to put in the hold announcement I’d own a Caribbean island and grow a beard.

Interestingly, I’d love to find out how much and what mechanisms the handling agents charge the legacy airlines for loading and unloading aircraft.

capetonianm
    Participant

It’s not just BA. I travel mostly on EZY for my shorthaul. We pay £200 a year each for the EZY+ plus cards and I usually pay for a checked bag, although I sometimes don’t have one.

The cabin baggage allowance is rarely properly or consistently enforced and the bins over the front row seats are often filled by selfish oafs and oafesses who then move further down the aircraft, leaving people who have paid for front rows seats to deal with the problem. This causes problems both on boarding and leaving the aircraft.

I have no problem with HBO only fares as long as the HB rules are enforced vigorously.

stevescoots
    Participant

I just view it as an excuse to hike the price of fares with hold luggage over time

openfly
    Participant

Nothing new as BA have been offering long-haul ex-US Club/Y HBO fares for years. As witnessed by the constant stream of massive amounts of hand-baggage….suitcase size…on these flights!!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

openfly – We aren’t aware of these HBO fares ex-USA with BA. Perhaps they are a special rate offered only to corporates ?

I have searched BA’s USA site (for JFK-LHR-JFK flights this month) and can find no trace of HBO fares.

Of course I could be wrong but I was using BA’s public website for J/Y classes.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls