Long Haul Air Filter Humidification

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Anonymous

DJA1stClass4sure
    Participant

I have been EXP on AA for many years now and after more then 3 million miles and now a Life Time Platinum Status awarded to me, there is no incentive to keep flying AA on the extra long haul flights. i.e. flights more then 8 hours. Why is it that Asian Airlines which get a very high ranking in review. I always think it has something to do with the lack of jet lag because so many Asia Carriers and some European carriers opt to install Air Filter Humidification in their First and Business Classes. When I fly from Chicago to Shang-hi on AA even in First Class I get off the plane feeling like a raisin. How can you drink free alcohol if your only going to get more dehydrated because of the air you breath ? When I fly Cathay Pacific to HKG or Singapore Airlines LAX to SIA a 17 hour flight, I step off the plane refreshed. Clearly flying long haul periods with extra dry cold air is not healthy for the human body, regardless how much water you try and intake over a 10 to 17 hour flight. I don’t know how much these Air Filter Humidification units cost per plane? or cost to operate ? But they certainly pay for themselves in Customer Retention. I keep asking does anyone know if AA is going to have this Air Filter Humidification on their new 777-300ER that has the same Business Seat Plan as Cathay Pacific ? Why does the American Carriers, both United and Delta also not use the Air Filter Humidification on the Long Haul Routes in Premium Classes ? I was wondering if I am the only one who feels this way or do you often wonder why you feel so dehydrated on one carrier and not on another ?

I find these articles very interesting:

http://ctt.se/thehumidifiers___217.aspx

http://www.ctt.se/thecairsystem___216.aspx

jetlagger
    Participant

I certainly agree with your case of feeling overly “dry” after periods of time on certain airlines.. More has to be investigated with this important scenario, as mentioned.. I am surely interested.. Thanks in advance.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I can’t answer your question DJA, but I know the Premium cabins of LH and LX are kept at higher levels than economy. In order to humidify the airlines have to carry more water and this will cost more in fuel burn.

I believe though that all the 380’s have a higher degree of humidity throughout the plane but I don’t know in which way this is achieved.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Just came across this. It’s a bit old but the info should still hold good.

http://bit.ly/SNdbQj

DJA1stClass4sure
    Participant

@Lugano- Your right about LH, I don’t know if this company CTT Systems is the only company out there fitting planes with higher humidification standards. I thought that this was something that was developed by Boeing or Airbus. But apparently you are correct with the First Class Cabin on LH. I searched the “news” section from CTT Cair System and found this press release from LH regarding the A380 and LH. It also claims that this new type of equipment will be standard on all new B787’s and A350’s. So it looks like things will be improving for passengers on newer aircraft and on some older aircraft with airlines that care. Low Cost Carrier FlyDubai added the system on all of their 31 737’s as well.

http://www.ctt.se/WebArchive/Docs/Press%20releases/Pressrelease%20Lufthansa%20A380%20Cair%20May%202010.pdf

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I wonder if it is a feature of original aircraft design. A friend of mine who is a pilot with CX first pointed out the humidity issue to me and said that the humidity levels on the A340 were far higher than the B747 (this was a few years ago). I hadn’t focused on it before but realised that when flying HKG-JFK I felt a lot better getting off the A340 flights, and I think this was part of the reason (the other being that the Airbus was much quieter than the Boeing). The A340 is long gone from that route, alas, as it was one of my favourite planes, and is now operated with B777s which I suspect also have higher humidity than the jumbos.

Just 2.5 hours off a jumbo from LHR to HKG and in the office already, feeling decidedly below par, and am sure the dry air was a lot to do with that.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls