London to Tokyo .. First Class .. ANA or JAL ?

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Bullfrog
    Participant

I have business to attend in Tokyo, and wondered which First Class option would be the best to choose .. not so fussed about lounge access.

Most important to me is seat / bed comfort, together with the onboard dining.

Thank you

rferguson
    Participant

I have flown JAL First Class before and whilst the service and inflight catering is quite something, the cabin and seat are somewhat dated and offer little privacy.

If the ANA First Class is on a 777-300 featuring ‘The Suite’ I would without hesitation, choose that.

1 user thanked author for this post.

nevereconomy
    Participant

I have flown both on several occasions. ANA is a little more “modern” but I prefer JAL as it is so very civilised – I have never opened the bathroom door for myself on a JAL F flight ! Also they have Salon champagne which no-one else in the world has – nearly £600 a bottle here in the UK……
    Probably depends on your age group.

cwoodward
    Participant

Its been a few years since I was in JAL first but as rferguson mentions it is good. It was one of the best experiences that I have ever had flying first.

Looking at the current offering it seem still to be similar and a very high standard -they would be my choice based on experience although I have never used ANA first

sparkyflier
    Participant

Bullfrog I am not sure if BA status/tier points are important to you but bear in mind that JAL is a Oneworld carrier and also codeshare with BA. In addition if you book using the BA flight codes on the JAL operated flights you will get a bucket load of avios in addition to the 240 tier points.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@Bullfrog – there are plenty of great You Tube reviews taken for both ANA and JAL FIRST on You Tube published over the last 6-12 months.

As a flavour – 2 of my favourite travel bloggers, Trek Trendy and Ricky Zhang

Enjoy the research and more importantly, enjoy the journey..

_glbetrkkr_
    Participant

If your flight features ANA’s The Room, go for that. The Apex Suites on JAL are nice but lack storage. While you have direct aisle access, you’re still next to someone (until partitions are drawn). IFE on both is lacking. JAL has an order on demand on IFE; I believe ANA also has (but can’t remember). Service-wise, you’ll be treated well. Both airlines offer a Western and Japanese meal. If you’re originating in LHR and fly JAL, def go to the CX Lounge

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=1242898]If your flight features ANA’s The Room, go for that.[/quote]

In fact I was going to suggest similar.

Bullfrog does not say when he is travelling.

I say that because The Room is not offered on ANA’s B787s which have operated most flights over the past couple of months.

It *may* be available on ANA’s B777-300ERs on the London route but Bullfrog would need to check with the travel agent of ANA direct. (It could mean that some B777s operating to London feature this product while others do not)

This link to Flightaware shows the last time ANA operated its B787 from London was October 29.

https://uk.flightaware.com/live/flight/ANA212

No Name
    Participant

ANA fly the Suite daily to Tokyo now, and promote as such.. It is HIGHLY unlikely that the old product would be on the route as as along with the 6 new 777-300s that came fitted with the product in 2019, 3 older aircraft were retrofitted during the Pandemic and another being done right now to the best of my knowledge. Frankfurt has been reduced to daily 787×2 – -and this product is only otherwise used on the JFK/ORD/LAX routes at present and only 100% to JFK.

Its simply superb, I flew it a couple of times pre-pandemic and most recently last month. JALs product is really rather dated now put next to it.

maxgeorge
    Participant

As much as in-flight service – both state-of-the-art – what matters is NRT or HND.

Despite the interminable taxiing at HND, it is far more convenient in terms of both proximity and transportation connections.

No Name
    Participant

ANA and JAL only serve Haneda on the London route.

Bullfrog
    Participant

Thank you everyone for your responses … ANA is going to be my choice, but the trip has been delayed until March. I will report back accordingly.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls