London Heathrow considers drop off fee

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

As many of you must have suspected … it was just a matter of time before Heathrow followed Gatwick with a drop-off fee.

A decision has yet to be made by LHR but there is every indication that a charge will take effect in 2021.

London Heathrow mulls ‘drop off’ fee

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I realise this is just a revenue generating exercise. However, the airport would probably achieve more revenue, collected in fairer manner, by allowing a few minutes free parking, to allow drop off and then hit drivers for large penalties for remaining parked up for longer periods, such as those parked up and waiting for arriving passengers.

It works very well on the continent…

6 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

As a warning re auto pay – for the new drop off charge

Whilst i fall into the category of having not having an issue with the £5 drop off charge, I can see that the airport is onto a winner here. Having jsut used the drop off, I was expecting to see confirmation of the payment either via an email or at lease showing on my account, a few minutes later.

Checking my account there was no confirmation the payment had been taken, checking my credit card there was no indication either. Using the chat function on the Heathrow website, I was told it could take up to 24 hours for the payment to show. “Samuel” advised me to make a manual payment but no worries, if the autopay does go through you have a credit on your account for future use.

Either autopay works or it doesn’t. Either way, I prefer to pay £5 twice than have to suffer a fine.

Just the first calamity of two at Heathrow this afternoon. The day apparently Airlines are moving their services back to their usual terminals or so I was told…

3 users thanked author for this post.

Polly
    Participant

Martyn,

Ours showed up on a direct debit within hours marked OPTOA or something.. both showed v quickly. It does seem to work, and yes, rather pay twice than be fined… and boy, are they taking it in, won’t be long recouping their losses.

Inquisitive
    Participant

Each airport charge an airport fees that is included in the ticket price. Charging additional fees for some segment of passengers is unfair.

If airport is losing money, then it need to be efficient and find other ways to generate revenue like increasing rent of airport shops – that cost also passed to passengers but that is discretionary spend.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Johnnyg
    Participant

Unfortunately I have had to use it a few times, it showed up quite quickly on my account, APCOA is the company. Various ways of paying. As stated previously rather the £5 than min of £40 fine.

FormerBA
    Participant

I set up an account and loaded all the families cars on to it. It sticks in my throat but I’d rather not face a fine for this iniquitous charge. The charge normally appears overnight but in the early days we did manage to dodge one

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls