London Gatwick North Terminal Monorail to Close from September 2009

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Hi VintageKrug – when we reported the closure of the monorail back in July of last year, we were told by BAA that it would reopen “from the end of July 2010”.

No mention was made by the spokesperson at that time of an April opening date, but I will contact the new owners to see if there is any comment on this.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/gatwick-monorail-to-close-for-refusbishment

VintageKrug
    Participant

Actually, I shouldn’t get at BAA as they no longer own Gatwick, as you rightly pointed out.

The Gatwick Airport website still says August:

————-

Terminal transit update

We are in the process of installing a new inter-terminal transit system at Gatwick Airport as part of our £1 billion investment programme.
    A replacement bus service is in operation between Gatwick’s North and South Terminals.

The service will depart from the upper forecourt of both terminals every three minutes during the day (04.00 to 18.00) and every six minutes at night. Please allow up to 20 minutes to transfer between terminals during this period. As the transit stations will be closed, access between South Terminal and local buses will be via alternative routes.

The transit will be fully closed until May 2010 when the first of the new shuttles comes into service, followed by the second at the end of July. The new shuttle service will be fully operational at the beginning of August 2010.
    —————

Something’s fishy here….seems they originally estimated July, then pushed it back to August and now claim July end date as being a month ahead of schedule.

I wish real life worked like that….

Again to be fair BAA originally told us it would reopen at the “end” of July (which in effect is the start of August), whereas now the owners are saying “July”, which could be practically a month early if it opened on July 1.

In any case we’ll keep an eye on it and update when we know more.

NTarrant
    Participant

Having gone through LGW on Wednesday and Thursday, using the shuttle bus there was a notice which said something along the lines of opening August 2010. I think it was by one of the bus stops.

gatwick33
    Participant

Now they have closed the short-stay car park in the North terminal. We wanted to do the twilight check in but would have to park in the south terminal and get the shuttle bus to the north which would end up taking too much time and defeating the object of the twilight check in service.

DJ_London
    Participant

gatwick33 – I agree it does defeat the object, however the bus service is quick and efficient and so will not add too much time to your journey…

gatwick33
    Participant

On their website it said it would take 30 mins each way but having looked at one of the posts above – it seems to have 15 mins. I guess it is dependent on traffic.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Takes exactly seven minutes by bus.

gatwick33
    Participant

Excellent thanks

NTarrant
    Participant

Gatwick33 – why don’t you park in the North Long Stay and take your bags to North for twilight check-in?

gatwick33
    Participant

That’s an alternative – though isn’t that also a bus ride away?

NTarrant
    Participant

Yes it is, but are you staying over at LGW? Also the long term car park is cheaper if you are only parking for a day (providing you book on line) than the short stay. What are your plans for travelling, car parking etc

gatwick33
    Participant

We only live 20 mins drive from gatwick, so originally just planned to drive down tthere tonight and run in quickly to check in. Then get a cab to the airport tomorrow at leisure.

NTarrant
    Participant

I see your problem. Long stay is probably not going to be that cost effective so I would say that unless you can find someone to drop you off and drive around until you are ready, you options are parking in South short stay and getting the bus or get a taxi from home.

What about a bus from your home?

gatwick33
    Participant

Unfortunatley there are no buses or trains from where we are to Gatwick. We might look at getting someone to come with us and drive around whilst we check in.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls