London – Dublin – London

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Anonymous

Deleted User
    Participant

I am arranging a 2 night visit to Dublin for 5 business people from the London area, Thursday to Saturday. Choicefor flights appear to be Ryan Air and BMI.

Is their a practical surface alternative, which taking into consideration the wasted time either side of the 1 hour flight, can compete?

BA no longer fly and EI are saying that their ticket has to have an international sector (for Dublin).

Travellator
    Participant

Ryanair fly from Stansted.

BMi and Aer LIngus ( code share BA ) fly from LHR both OK.

No need for intl sector Aer Lingus

SSTBeliever
    Participant

Have you looked at Flybe? AirLingus would be my choice and have some good fares depending on time of travel.

Travellator
    Participant

Flybe only do exeter or southampton.

NTarrant
    Participant

CMBurchardt – if you go on to http://www.aerlingus.com you can book LHR-DUB-LHR quite simply without having an international sector. Certainly EI have the most frequent of service of them all out of T1 at LHR. It is no frills, but at least you get an allocated seat!

As to an alternative, well I assume you do realise that there is a stretch of water between the UK mainland and Ireland. From Central London you have two alternatives.

1. Eurolines coach from Victoria which is booked through to Dublin, but takes around 10 to 12 hours.

2. Train from Euston to Holyhead, then by ferry/fast cat to Dun Laoghaire (yes I think thats the wrong spelling!) then by train to Dublin. Time between 7 and 8 hours.

Personally, my advice would be Heathorw Express from Paddington to LHR, Aer Lingus to Dublin and then Aircoach or Dublin Bus (Service 747) to centre of Dublin. Possibly could do that in less than 4 hours.

Hope that helps

PatJordan
    Participant

Personaly I prefer BMI for London-Dublin. Depending what part of London you are travelling from, you could consider AirFrance Cityjet. London City is a great airport with short check-in times and being so much smaller than Heathrow, much less walking too.

CMB, you didn’t mention if your party would be using lounge access. Aer Lingus’ main advantage over BMI in Heathrow is that their lounge is right beside departure gates whereas, the BMI lounge is quite a walk. However it us much better equipped for business travellers that the Aer Lingus lounge.

Hope this is of some help, CMB.

Have you booked you

PatJordan
    Participant

Personaly I prefer BMI for London-Dublin. Depending what part of London you are travelling from, you could consider AirFrance Cityjet. London City is a great airport with short check-in times and being so much smaller than Heathrow, much less walking too.

CMB, you didn’t mention if your party would be using lounge access. Aer Lingus’ main advantage over BMI in Heathrow is that their lounge is right beside departure gates whereas, the BMI lounge is quite a walk. However it us much better equipped for business travellers that the Aer Lingus lounge.

Hope this is of some help, CMB.

Deleted User
    Participant

Thanks all for your help on this one. 7-8 h verses 4 h is not a bad trade off if Ryan Air had been the airline of choice but thankfully with Aer Lingus and BMI out of Heathrow, at least there is a more sensible solution. However, I have now had another look at the Aer Lingus web site. Interestingly, the outbound is “free” and the return is £9.99, yet the fare still comes to £91 which includes an “Administration/booking fee” which I thought was a novel way to create income. I must remember that when we review our pricing policy.

Lounge access, all the party have lounge access, but I need to keep them all away from the free drink so the lounges are somehow going to be all out of bounds.

I am currently travelling in Asia, so the intention is to book this once I am back in the UK (Friday).

Once again, thank you all for your assistance.

ps. now its time to sort out the hotel – a decent 4 star our budget is £50 (or Euro =) per night including breakfast.

PatJordan
    Participant

Hi CMB,

I live in Dublin, and have often stayed at the Crowne Plaza near the airport. There is a compimentary shuttle and it is near bus routes to the city centre (or indeed a shortish taxi ride). The hotel rates are pretty good for advance bookings.

Hilton have a nice hotel in Kilmainham: this is not too far from the city centre but a good distance from the airport.

By the way, Aer Lingus also fly to Dublin from Gatwick, if that’s any help to you.

Hope this is helpful.

Flytoomuch
    Participant

CMB – I used to be a frequent on Cityjet (Air France) between LCY and Dublin. Is that on option?

NTarrant
    Participant

I like the Hilton Charelmont which is in a good location and very good service and food. Or Jury’s along the quay. If you have to keep your party away ffrom the booze then don’t stay in the Temple Bar area.

You will be better off staying in the centre than the airport.

BABenji
    Participant

Bewleys Hotels are good if you’re looking for something low cost, but with good amenities. There’s one at the airport, one downtown(ish) and one out in Leopards Town (out where Vodafone, Microsoft and the like have their offices).

Free internet and a decent breakfast. I’ve used them a few times and never had a problem.

http://www.bewleyshotels.com/

johnosullivan7
    Participant

aer lingus usually best choice much more flight options Bewleys hotels either ballsbridge city centre or sandyford suburbs very good value 79 to 99 euro restaurant near sandyforg Bistro 1 in foxrock near ballsbridge rolys (casual cafe more formal bistro) both excellent

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls