London City Airport has changed?!

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

• MarcusGB
    Participant

The take up of Cityjets routes so quickly by BA, has reduced them significantly, alongside the Skyteam membership and a lot of AF / KLM through traffic. Along with the ageing planes, and poor service, declining over several years, they simply would not be first choice for many people, compared to the other Airlines.
    It is a matter of time before we shall no longer see CityJet at LCY in my view, and at one time i believe they had a majority of the slots there.

Alex, I am really unsure how LCY can cope with many more flights, the taxiways alone can get easily blocked and if they do and there is no gate you have a gridlock. Their expansion plans were needed yesterday no years ahead. They simply do not have enough gates, and even the security area when all open and working flat out, two weeks ago, simply took far too long, backed up to the e ticket barrier.

For sure, they can no longer claim such a fast departure time, as you clearly need at least 70 mins + in my view, to be sure to catch your plane. the trek to the last gates takes a while, and a good 40 minutes before at times they ask you to go to the gate, and board 15 minutes before. I think they have around 25 seats in a departure area, so 3/4 of people end up standing on a full 100 seater flight.
    For departures, it is simply not what it was, not very pleasant, overcrowded, or predictable.

Charles-P
    Participant

LCY was one a great airport, speed and convenience the key reasons why it won but I now much prefer the Eurostar service into St Pancras. Brussels centre to London centre in under two hours with immediate access to the London Underground. Nice big comfortable seats, reasonable food, space to work and walk around – all in all much more pleasant.

For those departing London there is now availability of tickets through to Dutch, French, Belgian and German cities.

SimonS1
    Participant

Cityjet have just increased to 9 return flights to Dublin on some days. I can only imagine they must be seeing some return or they would presumably have trimmed this back.

727jesmond
    Participant

This is an interesting post, as I felt very much the same. I haven’t used LCY for years, not since VLM stopped their LPL-LCY and MAN-LCY routes, I used both, particularly the Liverpool connection. I always felt LCY was a very calm comfortable and stress-free airport in London to use and looked forward to passing through it.

In August I flew with BA to Quimper, the BA computer system was on a go slow, so check-in was laborious with long queues. There didn’t appear to be much in the way of assistance from staff. When we did get our boarding passes, security and departure lounge was pretty much like anywhere else, no feeling of calm or efficiency. Then the fire alarm went off, just before boarding, so everyone had to leave terminal (false alarm). The BA flight was comfortable, and pleasant except for a group of older East End Brits, who were pissed and swearing, F word used a lot, with a number of heads look round in disgust.

The thing that really stuck in my head was the arrival back in LCY, I needed the toilet whilst waiting to reclaim luggage. The WC facility there was frankly filthy. Not impressed with LCY anymore.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls