London City Airport closed today – unexploded WW2 bomb

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

• stevescoots
    Participant

[quote quote=850874]

discovery of a World War Two ordnance

Why does the discovery of an old gun close an airport?
    Or is it that our modern CEOs are ungrammatical.
    As ‘ordnance’ is singular (plural ordnances), The Mayor of London apparently could do with brushing up on the use of the definite article.
    I shall start a thread with a more accurate title!
    [/quote]

Has your account been hacked by our former poster who was for ever pulling everyone up on their grammar “he who cannot be named” 🙂 🙂

FDOS_UK
    Participant

No, Steve. That particular prat would object to small typos, the use of count/non-count nouns and other rather unimportant things by fellow posters.

What I’m objecting to above, are

1 – the use of US English by a UK CEO (reference the Oxford Dictionary, ordnance has a wider scope in the US), someone in a leadership position – I suggest that munition would have been a better choice -or why not call it what it is a ‘bomb’ (per the BBC and BT) – for the pedants, I agree it might technically be a land mine, but that would be salami slicing IMHO
    2 – the lack of a definite article in the press release by the Mayor of London, someone in a leadership position (something I’d expect an 8 year old schoolkid to be competent with the use of)

Not quite the same thing?

Fernieside94
    Participant

Handled well, as far as I can see under very difficult circumstances totally out with the control of any affected airlines.
    Perhaps speedbird1994 would have just preferred that BA told them that the flight was cancelled rather than be rebooked on another flight (albeit from another airport – at least you got there) moan just for the lack of a free snack on an approx 1hr flight –
    Think BA should be praised rather than bemoaned for their action.

Speedbird1994
    Participant

Oh Sweetie, I’m not complaining! I’m very pleased BA rebooked me so painlessly. I am merely observing the inconsistencies in service between LCY and LHR.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls