London City Airport Avro Scrap?

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Anonymous

GoonerLondon
    Participant

Anyone know what’s going on with the ex-BA Avro Jet currently behind hordings at one of the more prominent gates at LCY?

I assume it is the one damaged in the crash landing a few months ago that was parked up at the far end of the airport until recently. The fact that the BA logo has been ‘scraped’ off the tailfin suggest it is being scrapped – but why do it at such a visible place? Not really whet you want to see waiting to get on a similar jet at the adjacent gate…

wingcommander
    Participant

I asked ground staff last week what was going on, this was when they were just erecting the ‘wrapper’. I was told that it was being taken to pieces. Assume it is beyond economic repair, this fleet is retiring very soon. I did think that it must be costly to ‘rent’ the space right at a gate to do this job?

JeffD
    Participant

So BA have a plane at LHR and LCY which is has suffered an incident on landing. You would think they would “hide” these planes, they are not a good advert for BA.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I believe the LHR 777 (BA38) was broken up and removed some weeks ago.

It was, while mostly intact, quite hidden behind high hoardings, with the plane and airline name removed.

LCY has unique challenges when removing damaged aircraft; AFAIR a few years ago there was a (non-BA) overrun write off parked there for several months.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls