London and Paris Hotels

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Anonymous

M.Moose
    Participant

Will be spending 5 days in London and 4 days in Paris (May 1 – 9). Can anyone recommend hotels in both these cities? Prefer chained hotels (3-4* is fine) and near a a subway for convenience. Checked a couple of websites, prices are still relatively high in these cities.

Also, any idea if the London Pass worth purchasing? We’ll be travelling on the Eurostar to Paris (return).

Any other recommendations on places to visit would be appreciated.

evatuzzi
    Participant

Hi, try Epoque Hotels, http://www.epoquehotels.com, they have a great choice of hotels both in London and Paris.

C.Christopher
    Participant

MatthewTownsend
    Participant

Try Washington Mayfair Hotel, part of World Hotels. http://www.washington-mayfair.co.uk

M.Moose
    Participant

Thanks everyone for your contributions. Appreciate it.

We’re currently considering Novotel St Pancras in London and Le Meridien or 9 Hotel in Paris / Hotel Pullitzer.

Checked TripAdvisor, the pictures there vary dramatically. Reviews are also very mixed.

I welcome more recommendations / suggestions?

LondonGuy
    Participant

Hi M.Moose,

Just to let you know that at the moment, the prices for hotels won’t be coming down until probably June/July at the earliest. The reason for this is that the majority of hotels have had booking for a year to 6-months in advance and so quite a few of their rooms would have already been booked up till June/July.

At the moment, the suppliers that we use are re-negotiating their rates from September onwards and these rates will be reflective of the”credit crunch/crisis”.

Also, unfortunately for yourself, due to the weak Pound (£), London is a very attractive place for tourists and so it means that London is busy.

Here is a selection of the hotels that I’d recommend (all inclusive of breakfast unless otherwise stated):

The Tower by Tower Bridge and the Tower of London (4-star) – £310 for 4 nights

Express by Holiday Inn in Hammersmith (3-star) – £340 for 4 nights

Express by Holiday Inn in London City near Old Street (3-star) – £360 for 4 nights

Thistle Piccadilly (4-star) – £395 for 4 nights on a room only basis.

Strand Palace (3-star) – £399 for 4 nights

London Bridge Hotel near London Bridge (4-star) – £425 for 4 nights

Holiday Inn Kings Cross (4-star) – £435 for 4 nights

In Paris, these are the ones that I’d go for (all for 5 nights inclusive of breakfast):

Hotel Montholon near the Louvre (3-star) – £390

Hotel Excelsior near the Opera and Champs Elysees (3-star) – £405

Glasgow Monceau (3-star) – £440

Best Western Eiffel Segur (3-star) – £450

Bellevue Hotel (3-star) – £465

Best Western Aida Opera (3-star) – £495

What do to:

In London, the 3-day London Pass would be well worth it. This is the official blurb: The London Pass is a smart card offering free access to over 50 attractions in London. There is something for everyone with museums and the zoo, galleries and cinemas, royal palaces and ice skating, boat trips ad walking tours, historic sights and much more and all for one purchase price. Once you have purchased your London Pass you gain fast track entry to over 50 of Londons attractions. Some attractions that you can visit with your London Pass include; The Tower of London, The Tower Bridge Exhibition, Kensington Palace, Kenwood House, The National Portrait Gallery, Kew Gardens, London Zoo, The Museum of London, The British Museum, to name just a few. You will also obtain a guide book with information on the attractions that are included in your London Pass

A Three Day London Pass – £140 (for 2 adults)

A Three Day London Pass with a London Underground Travelcard – £190 (for 2 adults)

Considering that the major attractions on here charge £40 per person to get in, it is definitely worth getting this.

The open top tour bus is a good idea too – £55 for 2 adults – as this will give you a view of the city and you can decide what you want to see with your London Pass.

Hope this helps!

TMan126
    Participant

In PAris wihtout question i think the Hotel Royal Magda Etoille is absolutely awesome value for money and located at the top of the Camps Elysse

http://www.paris-hotel-magda.com/english/the-hotel-01.html

letstravel
    Participant

no doubt hotelly gives me best results when ever i plan a vacation ..
    may be this help u too..

http://www.hotelly.com

M.Moose
    Participant

Thank you all for your input. Appreciate the advise and pointers for a first time visitor to London and Paris.

At the moment, we’re headed to Sheraton Park Tower and Westin Paris. Not sure what to expect, looking at the variation in traveller photos – it varies from modern contemporary, to traditional. My wife and I prefer something more contemporary – understanable, rather challenging to find hotels as such in London and Paris.

I heard daylight hours are till about 9.00 p.m. in early May? If so, we sure want to take advantage and maximise our day.

If you any further suggestions to make our stay more memorable, do let us know. Thanks again!

M.Moose
    Participant

Hi, just returned from London and Paris. Our stay at the Sheraton Park Tower and Westin Paris started off badly. I really don’t understand how they can be Category 6 hotels!

Comments such as, “based on your SPG Gold status, we don’t need to upgrade you……”, “we don’t provide kettles because we’re in an old building (that does not have adequate power supply – paraphrased)” – “we don’t have king beds because some people like sleeping on 2 separate beds, so we just join them together” – these are uncalled for in a Cat 6 hotel (even if it’s true).

Despite me alerting the hotel via emails (yes, more than one) – they were not expecting my arrival. My profile says room away from lift, I asked them when they assigned the room – answer was yes, it’s away from the lift. I walk out of the lift – the room is 5 steps away (facing the lift).

Paint in bathroom peeling, toilet seat bad condition, room service that makes the guest answer the phone 2-3 times for a simple request for a bottle of water, etc.

They were in ‘recovery’ mode thereafter – which is not pleasant as it was a very stressful start for my wife and I.

I now understand the reviews on TripAdvisor. I used to think these people were exaggerating – there is some truth in it when you experience the pain yourself.

In the process of engaging with Starwood Hotels global senior executives to provide them with feedback. Hopefully they’ll get their act together.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls