LNER…just sit in First.

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• openfly
    Participant

Travelled First from Kings Cross to Leeds yesterday. Two passengers talking loudly and incessantly all the way. After a couple of GnTs their talk became looser! It turns out that they were on Standard tickets but because there are no ticket checks “due to COVID” they just sit in First. I was talking to a couple of regular travellers in Leeds and apparently they do the same!
    So just sit in First and have a free snack and a couple of drinks, why pay for the premium service.
    Thanks LNER…

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello openfly,

I was surprised to read this seeing as LNER is saying it is reintroducing ticket checks.

https://www.lner.co.uk/faq/coronavirus-travel-information-faqs/are-ticket-inspectors-still-operating-onboard-train-services/

But one wonders whether the LNER chiefs were too busy yesterday with the launch of Middlesbrough-London ?

This morning it would appear just 30 travellers were waiting to board.

jwak_hkg
    Participant

Oh the horror…

LaundryMan
    Participant

Currently sitting in first class Doncaster to London and there has been a full ticket check in first class and all was OK with no ejections

AMcWhirter
    Participant

That’s good to hear LaundryMan.

From previous experiences (before Covid arrived) the ticket check in first class would take place before meal service hence anyone with an incorrect ticket would be asked to move (before the meal / drinks arrived).

DerekVH
    Participant

[postquote quote=1161869]

At that point they should be forced to pay the fare difference or thrown off the train at the next stop!

2 users thanked author for this post.

x2000traveller
    Participant

Certainly there was a thorough check on each train when I went on LNER First Class over three days at the beginning of the month. Even down to BTP being called to discuss the situation of one of the pax in economy…. so I think LNER’s assurance was correct.

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

What would happen anyway if there were ticket checks? We have allowed us to get to the stage that it would be against your human rights to be ejected and these idiots would just kick off.

sandiego1
    Participant

I travelled yesterday, 15th December and there were full ticket checks both ways. An annoying family with three children boarded at Grantham and sat down immediately behind me, neither parent wearing a mask and the husband coughed the whole way to Kings Cross. They were made to pay the full difference in fares but nothing was said about masks, which in the current environment concerned me even more than the attempt to travel on standard class tickets

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls