Experience of LNER

Back to Forum

This topic contains 17 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  canucklad 15 May 2019
at 14:09

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

I can only say to LNER if you want to keep your passengers then do not use these Azuma trains, in comparison to the current rolling stock which provides room and comfort and a working WIFI Azuma’s are a disaster. I frequently use the LNER service between London and Edinburgh so the comparison is reasonable.

Too late, sadly.

These Azumas enter inaugural commercial service tomorrow. Their first route will be KX-Leeds to be followed by KX-Hull on Thursday May 16.

Other destinations will follow in the weeks and months ahead.

However note that it will take time before the Azumas operate all LNER services. The HST diesels and Mallard electric trains will be retained for a while yet.

The comments re the seating are relevant because LNER will, eventually, be using them for KX-Aberdeen and KX-Inverness.

It is unclear whether or not LNER’s seating will be substantially different to that featured on GWR’s IETs (these are similar trainets to LNER’s Azumas).

Important to bear in mind that the seating for these new trains was procured by the DfT and *not * the TOCs (train operating companyies.

More details on the seating below:

https://www.railmagazine.com/news/network/from-the-files-are-you-sitting-comfortably

capetonianm
    Participant

For those who travel to the NE and want an alternative service, there is Grand Central https://www.grandcentralrail.com/

I’ve had mixed experiences with them, but generally not bad. I have yet to experience the new Azuma trains.

canucklad
    Participant

Oh dear, oh dear oh dear……
    Just had a read and a look at the article in the news section.
    A couple of observations……

The seats look hard, not to dissimilar to Scotrail’s offering. Fine, if you’re resting your backside between Edinburgh and Glasgow, not so good between Kings Cross and Waverley .

“The Azumas also have an additional 100 seats per train, which LNER’s Director of Safety and Operations, Warrick Dent, said could help ease overcrowding”

Not saying that Warrick Dent is talking guff, but

My main concern however is the size of the trains .
    As a regular traveller between Edinburgh and England , overcrowding has been the pain of my travels on the ECML , and that’s with much longer trains.

What’s it going to be like with only 9 carriages ???

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
May cover
May cover
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls