Liquids and Security at Heathrow

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Again I got caught out by a very early arrival into T5 C gates with an onward out of C gates. Greeted by the attached sign. Having just experienced the very professionally managed BKK and HKG security teams – it was a case of welcome back to reality. Yes could have gone to A or B gates to clear security, but the sight of a BA staff member at her desk at 4.50am, within the security area, gave me hope it was only going to be a few minutes. She looked very embarrassed – 45 minutes later…. when the door was finally opened. I noticed there was no pleasantries exchanged between the security staff and the BA lady.

Having waited, with a sealed bag of onboard purchased alcohol + other various liquids stuffed into my back pack – and being greeted by the usual non smiling, attitude wielding security team, I just put my back pack straight onto the scanning machine. I did take out lap top but not mobile or tablet.I was gobsmacked to see my back pack come straight down the cleared side of the scanning machine. Have things changed at Heathrow without any publicity or was I just fortunate, the scanning agent missed everything, he should have picked out…

4 users thanked author for this post.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Going from T5C to T5A is so easy. Why waiting there?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=927722]Going from T5C to T5A is so easy. Why waiting there?[/quote]

Because my onward connection was going from C gates with boarding 1 hour and 10 minutes from the time I arrived at the C gate security. The fact that a BA lady was already in situ, behind the glass gave me confidence the security check would open shortly.

The interaction between BA and the security staff was clear, security staff all in a side room drinking coffee and checking mobiles. Even if the airport put out seats for people to wait, but more fundamentally, why on earth is this part of the airport not open for transiting passengers when 2 flights (HKG and Seoul) arrived before 5 am..

I hope that explains.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Swissdiver
    Participant

It does, thanks.

Very frustrating to wait when you think it won’t be for long. That said, the same applied for lounges, although it was corrected.

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

It is all too common that no part of the Heathrow operation talks to any other part. I have arrived early in the morning – super flight up from South Africa, arrival 20 minutes early – only to find we were allocated a remote stand and the stairs were not there. We waited on the tarmac on our stand for nearly half an hour. The control tower knew the plane was there. The BA terminal staff knew. The staff that operate the steps knew. The bus drivers – well they may or may not have known, but they did not care, their shift hadn’t started yet.

The crew told me this happens at least once a week. But the bus crews are under separate management so totally indifferent …

1 user thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

https://news.sky.com/story/heathrows-new-50m-scanners-will-allow-liquids-and-laptops-to-stay-in-bags-11735928

Interesting that press are reporting roll out somewhere between 2020 and 2022.. Will it really take that long?? Mind you we are talking about Heathrow…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls