LHR – Terminal 3 airline lounges (reviewed) August 2022

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

• TominScotland
    Participant

We were in T3 for 3 hours last week while in transit to Oslo with BA. We visited both the CX First and QF lounges and my other half, very familiar with the BA lounges in T5 and also T3, declared both the CX and QF offerings dull and in need of a revamp (space and food) compared to the T5 First lounge. I am aware of the heresy in posting such statements here but beauty is in the eyes of the beholder…

cwoodward
    Participant

Extraordinary! but then taste and style are a very personal matter that need not be accounted for however odd they may seem to others.
    Has the T5 BA lounge been rebuilt and new caterers appointed in the past few months I am wondering ?

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[postquote quote=1230230]

Good Lord!!

I can understand the comment about space as regards the CX F lounge, as it is really quite small. Bit surprised that she preferred BA food to CX food though – there are quibbles about the quality of food on board but I would have thought the CX T3 restaurant offering would in most cases have beaten BA’s offering hands-down. Maybe things have changed or – as cwoodward points out, perhaps it is more in the eyes of the beholder 😉

cwoodward
    Participant

One of my sons (who reads the forum) was in the Terminal 5 BA 1st lounge for a short time I believe as a guest just prior to Christmas.
    He found it disappointing and was pleased to be on the way to terminal 3 and the Cathay business class lounge.

He reports that the business centre has gone (arguably no longer needed in 2024).Surprisingly the sleep-pods that apparently were only he was told installed a couple of years ago have also been removed and the dark area is now just normal rather drab seating.
    Unlike the CX lounge the bar is self-serve with a very standard rather basic offering he thought -and no more champagne bar apparently gone also.
    The food offering unlike the menu offerings of the Cathay lounge is now only a buffet which he though looked OK
    Rather strangely there is also a large drab looking children’s play room – and the toilets are now unisex.

CheerUp
    Participant

If I had a choice I’d take Cathay/Qantas over 1st Lounge.
    I didn’t notice the difference between the 1st and Club lounges to be honest, apart from check in itself.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

We went to the CX J lounge in T3 for the first time on our return from Asia (previously we had always had access to the F lounge) – and I was pleasantly surprised. The seating by the window over the apron was the same as in the F lounge. The big loss for us was not having the little a la carte restaurant in the F lounge and a somewhat more limited range of snacks. But nonetheless it was surprisingly good.

We tried the QF lounge first as I thought it would be better (being a combined J/F lounge) but it only took 5 minutes for the Memsahib to complain about the uncomfortable seats and make us move – and I a glad we did

cwoodward
    Participant

The QF lounge seats ARE uncomfortable but the cocktails are decidedly not and better than those in CX 1st lounge.
    It seems Ian that you were unfortunate in not being offered the Lifetime diamond after so many years in HK and so many CX flights. Wrong timing I guess -your too young !

stevescoots
    Participant

Ian, not sure if i read your comment correct but there is an A La Carte area in the CX F lounge in T3.

Overall, I also prefer the CX F lounge to the QF one, or the BA ones in T5 although its been maybe 2 years since I was last in T5.

cwoodward
    Participant

Steve, in case Ian is not around -yes there is and as I recall a choice of 3 starts and mains. cannot remember re Breakfast but I believe so also.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I prefer the QF lounge in T3 when I am on the late afternoon Finnair flight to HEL. However, the downside is that the a la carte dining and downstairs bar does not open until 5.30pm. If I am in need of food, I will pop along to the CX lounge where I am always made to feel very welcome.

I still think T3 has a great selection of lounges. For those that like beer on tap, the Amex lounge has a good selection…

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls