LHR Snow Disruption – Jan 2010 Views

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

• VintageKrug
    Participant

I think you mean its weakest point.

I understand BA has seven de-icing rigs at T5. I am not certain if this is enough for seven aircraft simultaneously, or means just seven trucks.

I don’t personally think this is adequate, having been stuck for four hours on board in similar circumstances as others describe here.

But it’s not far short of adequate – if you consider something like 30 take offs per hour total for LHR in bad weather, I would expect BA to be able to de-ice something like 15-20 aircraft per hour. If a 747 takes 30 mins, 7 rigs (assuming a rig is enough for one aircraft) should be able to manage 14 747s per hour; obviously it takes less time to de-ice smaller shorthaul planes, so that seem to be about the right capacity (assuming a reasonable supply of skilled labour to operate the rigs and a good supply of de-icer).

The issue here was nothing whatsoever to do with the other airlines/BA’s capacity to de-ice aircraft, as that was never even permitted due to restrictions moving equipment around the stands..

The airlines are simply not responsible for keeping runways and stands clear.

That is BAA plc’s role, and BAA plainly did not have adequate kit to de-ice runways or to de-ice stands to allow access by the airline’s de-icing rigs.

Bullfrog
    Participant

@ VintageKrug

The Daily Telegraph reports today :

“On Tuesday a spokesman said that the airport had 28 snow ploughs compared to 14 at Gatwick. According to BAA’s snow plan for 2010/11, however, Heathrow actually has 10 snow ploughs and just seven de-icing vehicles.”

‘Not reading the press leaves one uninformed, whilst reading the press leaves one misinformed’.

So does Heathrow only have 7 de icing rigs which includes those of BA ?

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Bullfrog: I normally do not laugh to anything regarding human suffering and misery but I can help but have a good laugh for such a farce!!!!

It appeared to me that not only there was no contingency plan for bad weather but there is not even an accurate inventory for the equipment!!!!!

Bullfrog
    Participant

@FlyingChinaman

There was no contingency for bad weather, 2nd winter in succession.

Nor does there appear to be an accurate inventory for equipment.

The old thing worse than the above, is staff not having the ability to use such equipment.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Bullfrog: It is now up to the British public to press the airport operator for a change, modest or grand and may be via political pressure to the goverment. It is no longer just a matter of national pride but rather a duty to the travellers as there is a levy of an airport service charge on each ticket segment!

Tim2soza
    Participant

VK – Forcing BAA to surrender one or more Terminals at LHR is an excellent idea. Hopefully the improvements at LGW will make BAA wake up.

Potakas
    Participant

During the LHR chaos, bbc published a story about how Russian airports stay open during the winter, those airports were closed yesterday.

Here are the two stories:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12065808

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12081651

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

P.Sepsas: I watched these two stories on the BBC World too.

In reality NO airport in the world can totally avoid a shut-down during the worse snow storms BUT there is a big big difference between having the WILLINGNESS to prepare for the eventuality, which our beloved (or hated) Heathrow is not having this kind of right mind-set now. I also noticed the opinions of some readers on this forum think it might not be worth the large investments for an odd occasion. Global warming is with us and we can reasonably expect more, not less of these situations in the future.

Now that the British government (high time!) is seriously discussing the possibility of giving the relevant department the extra power of dealing with the commercial bodies running the airports in the UK in order to reduce the chances of another travel fiasco!

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls