LHR-MAD services to transfer from Iberia to BA

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Anonymous

Matinée-Allstars
    Participant

According to this source (which I cannot verify or confirm as accurate !!) the remaining Iberia LHR-MAD services will transfer to BA in a few months

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.preferente.com%2Fnoticias-de-transportes%2Fiberia-anuncia-que-british-operara-los-vuelos-entre-espana-y-reino-unido-240032.html

(a Google translation of a Spanish website)

Iberia unions announced Monday that in a few months will operate the flights between Spain and the UK to transfer them to British Airways, just as you will do with American Airlines for certain routes to the United States.
    The decision has fallen like a stone within the company, and after knowing the Sepla pilots union has withdrawn from negotiations, attempting to address Annex 10 on the shield to quedase without applying airports, which for the union was a red line.

Attendees at the meeting between the management and unions Iberia have detailed assignment of flights to British affect not only the Madrid-London, but all flights that operate from other airports in Spain to the English capital. Company officials have denied this to a financial newspaper.

The atmosphere of strong discouragement has invaded much of the template to this news, which adds to the known last week that Anglo shareholders and directors had raised expel IAG’s Iberia holding that conformed with its merger with BA.

Sources close to the representatives of the Spanish company workers have expressed their regret at the decision announced Monday in a meeting, feeling that their efforts when it comes to ‘accept “Iberia Express and salary cuts have failed to lot.

Those affected have asked the Government intervention in Iberia similar to that have been made ??with Repsol, Telefónica or even in the attempt of the U.S. carrier AT & T by absorbing or start buying a shareholding.
    They have also ensured that the Spanish company is losing a good number of customers your flight tickets more expensive, so that search engine companies like British itself offer cheaper tickets and eventually take the reservation.

In this context, they are more in the airline industry who now better understand Abel Matutes landing in the capital of Air Europa, after a few months you will hope that Iberia had browsed the flight, reaching new fleet and Iberia Express for short and medium haul, although expectations have been dashed.

BigDog.
    Participant

Thanks for posting this Matinee-Allstars. It gives me (and others who viewed the marriage also as a disaster) no pleasure to see the IB pilots at the point of committing Hara Kiri on behalf of the whole company.

The relationship appears irreparably damaged.

The fatal errors key to this part of the dispute should be firmly placed at Walsh’s door:

– he failed to have IB embark on restructuring well prior to the wedding. IB on the other hand had successfully lobbied BA to sort their pension and employee structural issues in advance.
    – apparently Walsh had committed to treating the IB pilots the same as the BA pilots, keeping them on a uniform contract. – A commitment that didn’t have a cats chance of being kept.

…plus many other appalling decisions culminating in BA being shackled to a corpse. Walsh hasn’t the wherewithal, intellect or business nous to be running Lydd Air let alone IAG or BA.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Indeed. Time for a divorce!

HedgeFundFlyer
    Participant

It’s going to be a tough few years but, in the long term, the marriage will work and be of significant strategic benefit.

That said, I am relived to learn I will no longer have my day ruined by being handed an Iberia boarding pass for my flight to MAD.

By the way, where else in the UK does Iberia fly to?

terminal
    Participant

“The fatal errors key to this part of the dispute should be firmly placed at Walsh’s door:

– he failed to have IB embark on restructuring well prior to the wedding. IB on the other hand had successfully lobbied BA to sort their pension and employee structural issues in advance”.

Indeed, the BA shareholders were hopelessly ripped off in this crazy deal – but that is the way of deals the seller win, the buyers (shareholders) lose

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’ve never really followed this, but surely the shareholders had a vote on the matter. If so they could have voted it down but chose not to.

That said, perhaps there is an end plan to this, which is to break the back of IB, if needs be by putting it into bankruptcy, then under EU rules BA could operate the Long Haul flights ex MAD and leave short haul to the LCC’s?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls