LHR expansion/disruption2018

Back to Forum

Tagged: 

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  capetonianm 28 May 2018
at 18:36

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Flightlevel
    Participant

UK government set to make a decision next month on possible expansion of LHR – and disruption of west London constituencies.

Can they afford to lose votes by allowing long haul aircraft to disrupt so many lives when they try to win the next election?

A short runway will only destroy one historic village, cause less disruption, and can be privately financed without taxpayer subsidy.

There are more important demands for taxpayers than to subsidise a private company?

Edski777
    Participant

There are more important demands for taxpayers than to subsidise a private company?

More important than giving the economy a boost? Just now, when the BoE has just reported that the UK has already lost 2% of its GDP due to the Brexit shambles? With no realistic plan to recover this loss or preventing further harm due to Brexit?
    I believe LHR needs all the investment it can get. It’s one of the pillars of the UK economy. Runway 3 is long overdue!

tomwjsimpson
    Participant

More important than giving the economy a boost? Just now, when the BoE has just reported that the UK has already lost 2% of its GDP due to the Brexit shambles? With no realistic plan to recover this loss or preventing further harm due to Brexit?

I believe LHR needs all the investment it can get. It’s one of the pillars of the UK economy. Runway 3 is long overdue!

Agreed! Although I think LHR and LGW should both be allowed to progress with their plans to allow competition

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Tom,
    +1

Montysaurus
    Participant

I agree with edski777 on Heathrow but Gatwick will forever be blighted by its rail link and its frequent problems.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Time for some fresh and dynamic thinking.

Build a new national airport in the midlands, with fast rail links to Bristol, London, Leeds, Manchester, Glasgow, Edinburgh etc..

Ekond222
    Participant

…Even though Heathrow is creaking to capacity – it actually performs pretty well… but expansion and complementary infrastructure enhancements are required to serve the highest populated and commercial area of the UK…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44190066

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Time for some fresh and dynamic thinking.

Build a new national airport in the midlands, with fast rail links to Bristol, London, Leeds, Manchester, Glasgow, Edinburgh etc..

An excellent idea. Best alongside HS2, and sufficiently south of Coventry & Birmingham for “Southerners” to feel it is not too far North of Watford:-)

capetonianm
    Participant

There already is one, BHX, which apparently a couple of years ago was under capacity, not sure if that still applies, and the transport links could be improved at relatively low cost compared to some of the other schemes. There are probably areas round the airport that could benefit from being razed to the ground and tarred over to make another runway.

Edski777
    Participant

There are so many airports in and around London and none of them seem suited to expand to a world class facility with enough capacity to replace LHR.
    That LHR, with its approach direct over the London city centre and in the middle of heavily populated suburbs, is probably the least desirable place is a fact nobody can deny.
    Some vision as FDOS has given us above is still lacking at political levels. I feel it has something to do with the antiquated voting system where being re-elected is far more important than the country’s interest as a whole.
    In order to tackle these first world challenges we will have to re-organize ourselves to become a first world society. Traditions are fun, but won’t help us economically.
    The world won’t wait for us.

openfly
    Participant

@capetonianm Probably the most attractive option…razing the whole of Birmingham (and Coventry!) to the ground to give the UK a decent central airport!!😀😀

capetonianm
    Participant

razing the whole of Birmingham (and Coventry!) to the ground to give the UK a decent central airport!!

A similar thought was in my mind, but it’s a little unfair as the centre of Birmingham has been rejuvenated and is really quite pleasant (Gas Street Basin/Brindley Place for example).

Some of the suburbs should definitely be turned into runway space.

Or as John Betjeman wrote about Slough :

Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough!
    It isn’t fit for humans now,
    There isn’t grass to graze a cow.
    Swarm over, Death!

On a more serious note, BHX has a huge catchment area and good links.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

There already is one, BHX, which apparently a couple of years ago was under capacity, not sure if that still applies, and the transport links could be improved at relatively low cost compared to some of the other schemes. There are probably areas round the airport that could benefit from being razed to the ground and tarred over to make another runway.

Hi Capetonian, BHX is my second airport and, sadly, it is unsuitable for expansion to a National hub. Any expansion would have to be to the West, or South, because of the NEC and that would take it away from direct rail links. That is why I suggested a new National airport alongside HS2 and probably just south of Coventry. It would probably be possible to get into central London on HS2 in 40-45 minutes, maybe less. Currently 1 hour 10 minutes from Coventry to Euston.

capetonianm
    Participant

Thanks FF. You know the local geography better than I do, but my first thought on reading your comment is that as surely a major hub airport in the Midlands is more important than an exhibition centre, maybe the NEC should be re-sited and the space it now stands on used for airport expansion.

Is HS2 going to happen? I’ve lost track (sorry, pun not really intended) after all the dithering and enquiries and commissions.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls