LHR-Abu Dhabi on Etihad: all 777 now?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Anonymous

sparkyflier
    Participant

A business contact of mine has just flown to Abu Dhabi on Etihad and the aircraft was a 777-300 ER. He flew Economy as he works for a not for profit institution, especially on flights under 7.5 hours.

He found the seating horrific, really narrow, and was hugely disappointed as he had heard good things about Etihad, and was expecting the A340-600, indeed one of the reasons he chose Etihad over BA.

Does anyone out there know if the route is all 777 now (with the 10 across seating in Y), or are A340s still plying the route on some of the flights?

My contact will be travelling to Abu Dhabi every month/6 weeks for the next few months, but told me this experience was not something he would want to repeat!

The inflight service was not bad, but the crew were rushed and the aisles made getting around the cabin a challenge, especially if you are not ultra slim.

Any advice would be helpful so I can advise him accordingly. His firm is a member of BA “on Business” and it looks like he will revert to them, but they only offer one flight a day.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

sparky

They introduced the 773 a while ago, on the morning rotation and use a combo of 345/346 and 333 at other times.

Although I am a big fan of Etihad in business class, I don’t like their economy, having endured 3 hours sitting next to a colleague in Y to show solidarity, I found the seats, service and ambience lacking and that was on an Airbus.

10 across just adds to the pain.

I’d advise BA in Y, 9 across on the 777 and 10 on the 744, both giving more seat width than EY or EK.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Cheers Fdos, much appreciated. This is slightly reassuring but I hope Etihad are not tempted to go all 777. The BA 777 seats are actually quite comfy, although a bit more pitch would be nice! The Y+ have reasonable personal space.

I think EY have ordered A380, and so I imagine LHR would be one of their primary routes, however do not know how long my contact will be going there for.

canucklad
    Participant

sparkflyer…..

Wouldn’t it be nice if there was a full boycott of airlines that adopt a sardine like contempt approach to their “Y” customers…

Very surprised if Etihad has decided on this approach, on such a competitive sector…

My advice….if this is going to be the aircraft / layout of choice that he sends a letter to Etihad explaining that not only is he going to choose BA…but he’s going to advise his colleagues to do so too…..and the 10 across layout is the reason why !

My letter is already completed and ready to wing it’s way across to Montreal

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

They have moved to an all 777 service on the London flights. I am due to go next month and was on the last A330-300 service but this has now been rostered as a 777 and only changed over the weekend. The odd rotation is still on the A330/340 but these are few and far between now.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Etihad followed Emirates and moved to 10-across Y seating on its B777s.

We reported this development way back in November 2009.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/etihad-joins-ten-across-club

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

As far as I am aware when we were given an update by Etihad last week, London is likely to one of the first routes, if not the first route for the Etihad A380.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Thanks Canuck, Tim & Alex. I knew EY had gone 10 across on 777, but did not know LHR-AUH was now all 777.

I kind of feel bad with my contact as he had seekend my advice! I hope he does not sue me ha ha.

He was minded to go BA, but their schedules did not allow for a day flight return. Now I think he will book BA for all these flights- the 10 across Y was just too “challenging”.

This would affect his personal travels too – he is looking to go to the Far East on holiday, perhaps with EY, and would have flown J or even F, but will want to get points/miles on a carrier he wants to stay with.

Thanks again for your contributions.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“This would affect his personal travels too – he is looking to go to the Far East on holiday, perhaps with EY, and would have flown J or even F, but will want to get points/miles on a carrier he wants to stay with.”

When Qatar join Oneworld, this might be worth looking at.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Tim

Interesting that they have changed to all 773. I saw a 333 there at the weekend, so didn’t realise.

They must be bullish about the loads.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Hi FDoS

I am going 16 to 20th and thought I would be on the 333 both ways (going in Business). Changed return flight to be on 777 on the way back and now got 777 both ways. EY19/20 is now 777. EY18 on the 24th April and 1st May is a 346 and 333 respectively and then the 346 again on the 22nd May. Following day 346 on the EY20 and then the EY12 the day after. After then mostly 777 with random Airbus’ thrown in. So the general rule of thumb is 777 operation and this far out they might currently be rostered on an Airbus but then be plane changed.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Hi Tim

Have you been in J on the 77W?

I have and is better than the A333, as the seats are still staggered 4s and the cabin is wider – feels more spacious IMHO.

The back is another matter entirely 🙁

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

No First time on Etihad for me. It is a work trip partly sponsored by Etihad and they gave us the option of paying £850 to upgrade both ways to Business. Wanted to try out both aircraft to see the difference so I could advise my clients accordingly in future. A very good deal on the upgrade I thought so I snapped that up and looking forward to it. Flew J on BA last year to SFO on the 747 (Upper Deck) so will be interesting to see the comparison. Have flown AF/LH and EK in J but that was years ago on the old products so whilst I could guage the service the seats have changed somewhat (apart from the lessor routes with EK).

Before you mention I have a feeling who I will be more impressed with (though on th SFO run the staff in J were superb and as they knew I was an agent we had a good chat about all things BA and interesting to hear there side of things with everything that has happened at BA). Anyway this is about Etihad and can’t wait (not getting the car as a special upgrade deal – but I can live without that).

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“Before you mention I have a feeling who I will be more impressed with”

Sometimes the EY crew are not as smooth as good BA crew can be, but the product is good, so it will be interesting to hear your thoughts.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls