LH kicking Emirates out of Germany

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

• JackyLek
    Participant

Hi Q-Travel

Why travel to UK, when you could get the fare from CPH or ATH around 1600 EURO with LX in C to HKG. And not getting risk for delaying or long security queeing.

Airpocket
    Participant

LH and the German authorities seem to have forgotten that the government of the UAE,in retaliation, could impose sanctions on LH,SWISS, and Austrian. Also, who is to say that the Abu Dhabi authorities, in solidarity with their brethren in Dubai, won’t impose sanctions on Lufthanansa and the airlines it owns?
    Is it really in the interest of the German government to take on EK?AF-KLM and BA would happily pick up the slack. Lets not forget that that pax can also use QR and Etihad to fly from Europe to the Gulf.
    This would hurt the Germans, Swiss, and Austrians more than anyone else.A very peculiar decision from Berlin, I must say.

Aravindha
    Participant

I agree with you. LH is prohibitive and I can not dream of flying LH. I booked tickets for US from India in Dec and Cathay was cheapest at 1200 USD while LH offered the same at 2100 USD. Agreed that LH operating costs are higher with EU regulations but that is the price you pay in operating in a Global Market.

MarcusUK
    Participant

Yes, rather protectionist.

Another point, is that many of the EU Airlines have high Fuel surcharges, they max out the Security & tax charges in the EU especially for their hubs.

The advantage many of the Emirate bases have is the land, labour, maintainance costs, fuel are less expensive as a base, this is often reflected in the price.

Often it is prohibitive to use yr miles from the UK now (Especially with the increase in APD, AGAIN next yr!)
    EG. It can cost £300 to get out of LHR on Thai before you pay any fare cost to BKK, yet take Etihad & you will pay half these LHR exit charges!

Many of the inflated costs are a deliberate ploy by Airlines, to maximise revenue locally.
    Its not about National or Airline Loyalty, its about Quality & value now in these days.

I also choose & pay for my own tickets when i travel, premium for long haul, & always balance quality of the aircraft , lounges, on board experiences etc. It doesn’t matter with a faceless Travel department in a large Co.

The Netherlands Schipol lost a lot of business upping taxes, people nipping over the borders to start elsewhere.
    I would not be surprised if this happened with LH ,I am sure EK will find a they dont lose custom.

I certainly wont be using LHR to start premium travels when the APD is £240 next yr!

Hess963
    Participant

Hi everyone !!

It is obvious and very present that the costs for EK is less than LH has to bear. But that is a fact–should EK artificially raise the tariffs just to make LH and other European carriers happy? or in a way competitive? This is a Free Market Economy ! If they want to be competitive — then LH and such should be more flexible in finding solutions on their own, instead of seeking Lobbyists to help them and get the national gov involved and now hoping that the EU commission will be weaked enough to see EU patriotism in this whole “kerfuffle” and get other EU countries support this –castigation of Non European carriers—because these just have the right notion to sell their tariffs in a competitive way and apart of this—liked and envied of their good hand for innovation and great service.

I just hope the EU commission is not that narrowminded as the German gov–which support this LH nonsense from the beginning without thinking of a possible ending in a more higher escalation and bigger rifts between EU and other countries in the world.

Hess963
    Participant

Hi everyone !!

Many of you might have already read and heard that EK has bowed to the Geman Gov.’s demand of raising the tariffs of EK in certain sectors originating from Germany. EK has no choice but to raise the tariffs under protest or risk to be sanctioned.

Although LH vehemently denying any involvements to the decision making–it is not so far away that LH is therefore the winner of this complaint. And the loser–no not EK in the first place –but the German pax or pax flying from German airports. Why ?– the German Gov manipulates the market aritificially just to defend its own homecarrier in the banner of not supporting any low or dumping prices–it is just so sad–that this defensive and protective decisions and ways are coming from a country which is renowned for its trade and business attitude in the world. What a shame indeed !!

It is well known in the industry that EK has advantages in its home country. So EK should be ashamed of it? Should EK do not take any help or artificially make itself unpopular for the sake of any other airline in the world or airline alliances like Star Alliance ?

Everybody knows that EK and its expansion as well as its good performance is feared and envied of other airlines. Some of them will only like to have EK in an alliance inorder to restrain it easily.
    You could see this in the “open skies” agreements of EK with other various countries and airlines. While Germany and Canada are the two countries who are defiantly against EK.

This decision is definitely biased, selective and against consumers in Germany. Lucky for EK in one aspect–real German premium pax who knows the difference of good service combined with the state of the arts C class seats and F class suits will fly EK whether it originates within or outside Germany. LH’s product is well knowned to be below par, comparing to EK. Alright the First Class Terminals in FRA or MUC would be the only ones who are superb. So what–you still need to fly or just stay in the lounge?

EK definitely need not to be worried about getting pax to fly with them. Only the beastly and perfidious homecarriers who can not do their maths properly and desperately need assistance like a baby and therefore misuse government support to act maliciously against competitors and most important against consumer’s freedom of choice.

Airpocket
    Participant

While LH might be able to manipulate things in Germany it is virtually powerless outside Germany. People who fly from the UK will still find EK comparitively cheaper than LH and SWISS on flights to the Gulf, the Indian sub-continent, South Africa, and SE Asia. Also, LH don’t have much of a service to Australasia and I really don’t think passengers will want to switch to LH if they want to fly Down Under. Despite this, frankly, despicable move from LH, I don’t see EK suffering a great deal. If anything, the UAE authorities might now introduce retaliatory measures against LH.

TominScotland
    Participant

I often fly LH in discounted Business from Scotland to Asia as it is far better value than BA and, often, Emirates. EK from Glasgow to HKG (with stops in DXB and BKK) usually comes in around £2,400. I generally can do LH from Edinburgh via Frankfurt for about £1,900. No brainer but then I am not based in Germany. Same applies if you use BA, starting outwith the UK.

Petericia
    Participant

Can any body name the Most Beautiful Beaches in North Cyprus.

cbroo79
    Participant

I am not sure if LH was really pushing for this, but believe this is one of the populist moves of the new conservative government to “protect German jobs and companies”. LH applies the same discounting from foreign destinations connecting through their hub in FRA. Recnty bought JFK-FRA-MAD return business and the ticket was cheaper tha just buyong JFK-FRA return. The reason i suspect is that they have to compete with Jetairlines on the same route.
    The German government would be well advised not to interfere. As to the argument of State Subsidies.. all airlines in one shape or another get some protection form their gov.. landing rights (slots at LHR), tax relieve on jet fuel, tax relieve on GST etc. as some example.
    If one would like to make that the decisive factor – well, welcome to the US/EU banana war.
    Let the companies decide at which price they offer their product and us the customers which product at which price point we prefer.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls