LH Group airlines to make face masks mandatory

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

• canucklad
    Participant

What I’d like to see is airlines including lufthansa to put an end to shared armrests. I’d have thought it would make more sense to stop the virus spreading to minimise the risk of cross contanimation. Especially when you consider that lufthansa now deem it ok to squeeze people into the middle seat, now everyone has the security of a mask. Bonkers thinking

GivingupBA
    Participant

After years in the Far East (including right through SARS in Hong Kong) – plus I am now in South Korea, where everyone wears a mask outside all the time except in parks or mountains – I am very used to wearing masks all the time. You do get completely used to them, and can walk at a fair speed wearing one, but it depends on the type of mask: the cheap paper ones are very poor of course, and you have to discard them at least daily – which is impractical. The washable cloth ones are easier to use and more pleasant, and they can of course be washed then dried every night.

I’d be fine wearing one for a 12-hour flight, because I’m so used to them.

ASK1945
    Participant

GivingupBA wrote: “……………… the cheap paper ones are very poor of course, and you have to discard them at least daily – which is impractical.”

This is precisely my point. Firstly, Lufthansa are not going to be giving out PPE3, or even PPE2 masks, which might have a practical use – although uncomfortable to wear for many hours. But anyway, there are still the other issues that I alluded to in my previous post, and MarcusGB so eruditely explained in a following post.

They will be giving out cheap paper masks – which are meant to be for single short-term use and disposable. Once you take them off, for say a drink, they must not be put on again.

You say that “The washable cloth ones are easier to use and more pleasant, and they can of course be washed then dried every night. I’d be fine wearing one for a 12-hour flight, because I’m so used to them.” I agree, they are easier to wear (they are the ones I used the most) but once they become moist – from breath – they become ineffective as protection and (from my experience) that is in considerably less than 12 hours. Maybe up to 2 hours, tops.

ASK1945
    Participant

MartynSinclair asked about N95 masks.

Martyn – I held back waiting for a reply from MarcusGB. In the ansence of this, can I direct you to the following website, which gives a succinct overview of masks:

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/personal-protective-equipment-infection-control/n95-respirators-and-surgical-masks-face-masks

N95 masks are used as part of a full PPE3 setup, which includes full surgical gowns, face visors and double gloves. Head covering should also be considered. The type of masks shown in the Lufthansa picture may, I repeat may be effective over short periods, but do need to be changed frequently and disposed of. As Marcus said, there are concerns about disposal in public waste bins.

2 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Following a reader request I did ask Lufthansa if it would be providing passengers with face masks if they had forgotten to bring one along.

We have added an update to the end of yesterday’s copy.

In short Lufthansa tells Business Traveller “We will have individual masks on board for emergencies.”

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=997180]In short Lufthansa tells Business Traveller “We will have individual masks on board for emergencies.”[/quote]

You know whats just popped into my head …..

The decades long lobbying for passenger masks to be included as part of the safety equipment on board.
    And the airlines resisting at every turn. normally down to cost
    Now when they can be seen as an opportunity to (IMO wrongly) give passengers a feeling of well being and thus persuade them back on board they’re all for it —- It’s actually angering me, the double standards that appear when cash flow is put at risk ! Shame on Lufthansa

If other airlines follow suit, surely the precedent has been set to have masks next to the remotely used life jacket !

canucklad
    Participant

Delta, American & United also making it mandatory to wear masks, with the exception of children

Kids are notorious carriers , but then again trying to keep a mask on a rugrat would probably be another type of risk all together 🙂

Swissdiver
    Participant

So much is written about it, with no real knowledge for now. In Switzerland, we hear from the Government now children are not carriers so we can open the schools. Are they or not? No one really know. Studies are contradicting themselves.
    Masks: initially (when they were not available), we were told they were not necessary, now they are (this is becoming less controversial, it seems).
    Chloroquine based treatments are miraculous for some, not working for others.
    What these examples have in common is the stakeholders’s different vested interests.
    What is undiscussed is the requirement for distance!
    Back to LH. I could accept their request to wear a mask only if the middle seat was left empty. The fact it is not and travellers will be in closed contact with each others, touch the same piece of metal in the armrest, touch each others, indicates LH is only after its profit, not the common interest. A shame.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

is this about to be the first UK Government U turn about the effectiveness of masks?

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-no-10-admits-face-coverings-have-weak-but-positive-effect-in-slowing-covid-19-11981773

SimonS1
    Participant

Interesting, and barely a mention of it on TV which seems to be fixated with the Duchess of LA losing the first stage of her case against the Mail.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls