LCY or LHR arrival ?

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• EasternPedlar
    Participant

I’m planning a trip to the Balearics and have a choice of returning to LHR or to LCY. In the past LCY arrivals were smooth and quick. LHR has been reporting variable delays, some extending into hours! Just wondering if anyone has had any recent experience of arriving into LCY. Many thanks!

1 user thanked author for this post.

sparkyflier
    Participant

I would choose LCY.. even before Covid restrictions etc but especially so now.. Far less passengers to process and depending on where you live easier to get home.

Plus the BA Embraers are a joy and more comfy IMO than A320s etc

5 users thanked author for this post.

GBAIR72
    Participant

I spent the following on arrival from plane to taxi this month
    2.5 hours on Heathrow
    30 mins London city
    5 mins Southampton

All from Gibraltar

MarcusGB
    Participant

I often even Pre-covid, would avoid arriving into LHR, and prefer LCY, even with a change at a European Hub.
    It also used to get a better fare beginning and ending the Long Haul flight paying in Euros, found frequently as i travelled KLM or AF, separating tickets bought for short haul and long Haul. The Airline would always link the two bookings.

It completely avoided the madness of LHR / UK premium Fare Taxes for long haul flights, saving £ – Hundreds each flight.

With the queues of LHR, slow processing, up to 7 hrs, this may just get worse, so it will always be LCY for me.
    It has also expanded its testing facilities, and flights arriving and departing rarely carry more than 100, even when the Airport is busy.
    With Less an area to have to negotiate compared to LHR, i would consider it safer than LHR and the mixed, many hours of queues we have heard from there.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Jon Arnold
    Participant

I just came back from Mallorca via T5 Heathrow on Thursday. 20 mins to get through immigration (mid afternoon). Most UK passport holders allowed through the e-gates with no checks (checks were done at check-in at Mallorca and they were thorough – Locator form and negative LFT results carefully checked) Whether my experiences is typical I can’t say.

2 users thanked author for this post.

GreenScot
    Participant

[postquote quote=1104266]

Re A320s being more comfortable than the E175/E190 – one thing to point out is that if you are in CE, and you are travelling solo, you will find yourself sitting elbow to elbow with someone, as unlike on the Airbus, there are no blocked seats.

If that concerns anyone at this present time, then flying to LHR could be the preferred option for such a traveller.

Daniel
    Participant

I flew into LHR this afternoon landing around 12.30 and there weren’t any queues at all. Bags were on the carousel as we got there too so all very efficient; landed and out the other side within 25 minutes. I guess it depends on your arrival time as I too have read about horrendous delays – avoid Sunday evenings apparently.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

From some of the recent comments then maybe LHR is learning how to handle arrivals a little bit better ?

Shamsh
    Participant

Peter, you‘re a great optimist!

wingcommander
    Participant

Literally just passed through LCY coming from AGP heading to GLA. Simple and quick using e-gates transit completed in under 10 minutes and standing at next gate. Cannot see that @ LHR.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I arrived at Heathrow a few weeks ago on a Saturday morning (around 0820) and there was no queue, but only the night before there had been five hour queues and people waiting until the early hours, so it does seem to be a matter of luck – which isn’t much help as advice, I admit !

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls