LCY – New York… latest views?

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Just over the hour and one change. Similar time to LHR but no cab needed. Certainly worth a go. I will let you know.

Waddsey1
    Participant

I travelled LCY-JFK on Tuesday 27/09 and would recommend this service. I should add that I often fly LCY-FRA so I have a bias for LCY but the Club World London City service is a good operation. Even the short stop in Shannon was smooth and we were all back on the plane within 45 minutes. The flight left LCY late but arrived into JFK 15 minutes early.
    The food and on board service was first rate with a good attentive crew. Shall be flying back to the UK from Chicago in First and hope that trip will be as good as the LCY-JFK service.

Land-of-Miles
    Participant

The LCY-JFK service is great and whilst not necessarily offering a quantum leap forward in any one area it is a combination of better food than mainline J, better service from broadly cheerful positive crew, relatively quick progress through LCY – meaning that I need to leave the office less than an hour before my flight, simple friendly immigration at SNN and a relatively pleasant onboard environment more comparable to upper deck J on a 744, rather than the nasty 777.

All that to me adds up to a great value proposition and more and more I see LCY-JFK as the ONLY civilised way to go to the US even if this means taking connections from JFK to my final destination.

I would strongly discourage use of the word “lounge” when talking about the gate waiting area at LCY. It is not a lounge in the conventional sense, it is just a nicer boarding area with some of the characteristics of a lounge. I have only ever spent 15 to 20 minutes in there before boarding my flight and would suggest that this is the best approach to take. See it as a boarding area and it is great, see it as a lounge and it will disappoint.

Also unless the traffic is particularly terrible or you are coming from the far west side of London (e.g. Richmond) I can’t think of many circumstances where public transport would get you to LCY quicker than a cab or car. I live right by a direct DLR link and would still never take public transport there.

RichHI1
    Participant

I find the Shannon CBP very intriguing. One question, I find the 757’s in use to Hawaii claustrophobic on a 6-7 hour flight. IS teh minibus they use on LCY-JFK similarly a bit claustrophobic on this route? I know a lot of US carreirs are moving from Widebodies to 757’s on low volume eastc oast transtalantic routes and I am not so sure. Keen for perception from those who have flown this route (particularly in Heavy Turbulence)

Land-of-Miles
    Participant

I haven’t experienced heavy turbulence, but it feels to me as spacious as the upper deck of a 747 but without the additional side bins. I also prefer the seats on the CWLCY service to the standard BA J seat it feels MUCH less claustrophobic, especially in comparison to a window seat on a 777 with the divider up.

StephenLondon
    Participant

I love using the CWLCY Service…I’m well into double digits on the route and have more booked already.

One customer, upon boarding, asked if this was the whole plane (???)… which the crew confirmed…and the customer responded “how boutique” ! I love the phrase, it should be used in the BA marketing. It is very boutique…but comfortable, spacious, clean, quiet, with top levels of service. I think more could be done on the food & beverage side of things, and the new iPad IFE is streets ahead of the hand-held systems they had been using.

The best part is clearing customs and immigration in SNN. It means you can relax for the rest of the flight. And with OnAir, you land fully up to speed with work (and social life), further enabling your relaxation.

The service has been running for two years, now. Seems to be a great success, with a small army of very devoted travellers who use it with amazing frequency.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls