LCY: Hippies LoseCreate Topic

Home Forums Air Travel Airports LCY: Hippies Lose

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Daytripper 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

Looks like LCY will be open for more flights than is the case currently:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-12238685

Just look at the people protesting!

Throw a bucket over the lot of them, and make them have a good wash!

Charles-P
    Participant

Yes I saw that VK – good news all round. LCY is a great airport and one I enjoy using. The great unwashed types who object to flying seem happy enough to fly themselves when they deem it “important”. The most hyprocisy I have seen over this issue was the two members of Plane Stupid who protested at Manchester Airport about short haul on a Thursday and then used Manchester to fly to Edinburgh for a wedding on the Saturday !

PatJordan
    Participant

A good result indeed VK.

By the way, today in outer Dublin, I saw a sign for “VK motors”. The website is:

http://www.vkmotors.ie

Have I at last uncovered the real VK…..or is it an impostor????

VintageKrug
    Participant

I can give you a good deal on an Austin Princess, one careful owner, naturally!!

The inappropriate use of the moniker “VK” is with my lawyers.

PatJordan
    Participant

Austin Princess……..there’s a name I haven’t heard for a long time, VK.

No doubt it has low mileage too………

LuganoPirate
    Participant

How times change. I remember when LCY was first mooted, there was some local resistance, mainly concerns about noise. It was also in an undeveloped part of London full of warehouses and factories.

The locals were mostly won over by the promise of jobs at the airport and by virtue of increased business being bought to the area.

Its success and the development of canary Wharf meant that many apartment blocks and homes were built, but people buying knew full well there was an airport there and in fact good air-links is what first attracted many of them to buy there.

LCY had to struggle in the beginning, and I believe there were a few times when it looked as if it might close. However it has now gone on to become very popular and profitable and it seems that old British syndrome, of, if it’s a success, less try and wreck it, is rearing it ugly head!

From my side I’m delighted with this outcome and may LCY continue to prosper and serve the East and S.E. of London.

Daytripper
    Participant

If only the stereotype of ‘hippies’ opposing airport expansion was the extent of the problem.

It was Daily Mail reading N.I.M.B.Y. Conservatives and Cameron’s government who ultimately stood in the way of Britain’s truly pressing airport issue- Heathrow’s runway situation. Expansion that was supported by the Labour party.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.