LAX-LHR in Business – AA or BA

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• BugAdvisor
    Participant

I’m planning to book three business seats from LAX – LHR in June.

I am BA Gold and so want to fly One World for points and status reasons.

I’m looking at two options:

dep. 17.20 arr. 12.05 AA Boeing 777
    dep. 21.35 arr. 16.05 BA Airbus A380

My current favourite is the AA flight for the following reasons:
    AA Business Class seat quality and arrangement looks better than BA – especially if I can get seats in Row 3, which is a small cabin with just two rows.
    AA land at T3 and my onward flight, with BA, is from T3

From previous experience, I don’t expect the food in either AA or BA to be that good and so I haven’t factored that in.

The BA flight time is slightly better in that we’ll be tired enough to sleep within a few hours of take off and could get a full eight hours. But it lands at T5 and my onward flight from T3 is only 1 hour 15 minutes later.

Am I missing something or is AA the right decision?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I think you may find an upstairs window seat BA (380), preferably forward cabin, but second cabin not too bad either, will provide more space and privacy.

Purely from the seat / seat choice, I would fly BA (380 only). Regularly get 8 hours+ sleep in a 380 window seat. (I am 5’7, medium build).

For a day flight, where sleep my not be as important, the choice would be purely based on the seat space.

rferguson
    Participant

With a 1hr15min T5-T3 transit I would definitely opt for the AA option.

You can also use the QF F class lounge using the AA option. Although AA doesn’t operate from the Tom Bradley International Terminal where the QF F lounge is located you can check in at the AA terminal and then walk airside to TBIT.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=927869] AA land at T3 and my onward flight, with BA, is from T3… Am I missing something or is AA the right decision?[/quote]

If it was me, just a personal decision, I would take AA because 1 hour 15 minutes looks too tight for a T5 to T3 connection and I hate rushing. For me, catching the connection from T3 would override everything else. It would be a longer day, of course. (PS I wrote all this while rferguson was writing!!)

I hope you have a pleasant trip.

MarkivJ
    Participant

If it’s a flight from JFK or LAX to LHR, my first pick is always AA! Better seats and aircraft (most of the time).

christ
    Participant

If it is the A380, I would definitely go on BA. I find BA far better for sleeping and friendly crew (I think that flight has recently gone back to WW also). Also, I think since BA has enhanced the club world offering, things have got better. Whenever I have got the late LA flight, it has always landed early, but who knows with LHR. Having said that if there is a huge gap if you miss the next connection, then AA may be worthwhile. Is this for winter timetable as I thought the last flight from LAX for summer was mostly a jumbo now? Alternatively you could consider the 5pm / 6pm BA 787 which I have never been on but heard great things about.

_glbetrkkr_
    Participant

I vote for AA simply because of the 1-2-1 layout. The config affords plenty of privacy. When you land in LHR, you’ll also have access to the CX Lounge which (IMHO) is the best in T3 (QF is up there too). I know you’re only transiting through LHR (with limited time), but I’ll add this bit: You have access to the AA Arrivals Lounge in T3 as well. It’s small, but perfunctory.

FrequentTraveller
    Participant

AA for the much better seat with direct aisle access and less stressful connection experience at Heathrow.

pheighdough
    Participant

For me the connection is a key point, and I would rather the travelling than missing a connection and spending ‘quality time’ at Heathrow. Go AA, timing and connection better.

SGJNI1961
    Participant

Much as I love the A380 you would be mad to risk such a tight connection AND the AA seating is supieor with the food being something of a score draw. Staying in T3 also offers up the non BA lounges if you are eligible. Would never miss a chance to go to CX F!

1 user thanked author for this post.

maxgeorge
    Participant

AA Business seating 1-2-1

BA Club World? 2-3-2.

(At least on 777’s, last time I flew BA. SJC-LAX, Sept.2018).

Plus AA’s new Flagship Lounge at their dedicated LAX terminal is considerably brighter and better than the OneWorld Lounge in the chaotic Bradley international Terminal.

Jimmer7
    Participant

Personally I’d probably mix them, go out on AA and back on BA.

I used to travel on AA quite a lot when living and working in Dallas and always found the hard product to be pretty good although it was rare you could say the same amount the level of service offered. The AA Flagship lounge at Heathrow is good although noise might be problem (mainly down to our loud North American cousins)
    Until Tuesday I was a fan of the A380 but my flight back from HGK was one of the bumpiest flights I’ve ever been on, hate to think what it would have been like on a smaller aircraft.

BillyBleach
    Participant

I prefer BA on this route.

I prefer upper deck 380. Also T5 over T3, at the UK end.

BugAdvisor
    Participant

Thanks everyone for your replies and advice.

The AA Flagship Lounge at LAX looks pretty good and a step up from the usual US lounge.

The LHR T3 CX F lounge is excellent and I’m a regular visitor – I had dinner there yesterday evening.

It was interesting to find that there wasn’t a clear consensus about the flight, with many choices impacted by the tight connection. I wonder if I’d qualify for a tarmac transfer? There is also another flight from T3 at 20.00 so if I missed the 17.20, I’d just have to suffer a few hours in T3 CX F with time for a shower.

I’ll decide pretty soon!

christ
    Participant

The AA flagship lounge at LAX is excellent and is very bright overlooking the gates and runway.

The food and drinks are very good and the showers are quite nice. The lounge is usually right next to the LHR gate as you can usually see the plane from the lounge. Certainly when I fly US domestic, it is one of the best lounges and whilst busy, I have always got a table.

Also whilst I prefer the BA A380 for long haul, I forgot that you can avoid the Tom Bradley International Terminal flying on AA (or I assume you can as I have not done AA long haul from LAX but on basis where the lounge is, it must be the case) – when I flew BA back last year from LAX the queue for security took 90 mins and no fast track.

The Qantas first lounge was nice but again chaos due to the amount of flights late evening and the food took so long that I did not get (a complete contrast to Qantas First Lounge in Sydney which is one of the best I have been to).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls