Lateral Flow Tests

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• lakesider
    Participant

The UK government have announced that at a future date, the requirement for a day 2 PCR test will be relaxed to allow a (paid for) Lateral Flow test instead and there will be no need to photograph or film the test being taken.

Not a single report I have read explains exactly why the Lateral Flow tests that can be picked up free of charge at GP surgeries, pharmacies, Council offices etc cannot be used. Can anyone throw some light on exactly why this is?

1 user thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

At the beginning of the pandemic, I accept 100% that the resources of and for the NHS should not be used for non essential purposes, including travel. Even now, our wonderful NHS is struggling.

However the ease with which the free tests can be picked up at pharmacies (in the UK) ​and the number of available kits, does sit uncomfortably with me, when passengers are still being ‘screwed’ in some cases for hundreds of pounds for similar tests, provided by the private sector. Coming back from a green country last week, I paid E35 for a test, exactly the same as the free kit I took with me for self testing. OK, I did get a certificate for travel signed by someone. I also had to pay £43 for the day 2 test (which I know is being reviewed shortly)

Whether travelling for business or pleasure, these additional costs are beginning to grind me…..

1 user thanked author for this post.

Poshgirl58
    Participant

This issue featured on ITV’s “Heathrow – World’s Busiest Airport” programme last night.

A passenger was detained for refusing to pay for the Day 2 and 8 tests. The reasons given were “I can get it done for free at GP”, “I can’t afford the £170”, “I’m not giving my money to the Tories” and “I’m double vaccinated, can prove it, also tested negative”. His pleas to keep his word and visit his GP fell on deaf ears. The Police were called and reminded him that he could be fined £10,000 for not complying. His response was “see you in court”.

Until about a month ago, the free NHS tests were being handed out in my local Sainsburys. Postcodes were recorded; you could have up to 7 boxes.

I agree, we are being “screwed”.

4 users thanked author for this post.

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=1113581]

Its all about being screwed by the system, I agree with the guy, see you in court! My experience went to a private provider for “fit for fly” PCR test and I paid about £70 for the 48 hour test which I went and took 48 hours before I flew last week. When the test was finished (35 secs for the whole thing) I said I am flying Saturday at 8pm so will need test results by 6pm on the Saturday and she said she couldn’t guarantee that but if I paid her another £50 I could have them within 24 hours…

I declined saying I would take my chances and lo and behold the results were emailed to me on the same day, its a rip off and the sooner it finishes the better, now to get the “lunatics in the park” here (Singapore Government) to do the same!

2 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1113755]My experience went to a private provider for “fit for fly” PCR test and I paid about £70 for the 48 hour test which I went and took 48 hours before I flew last week. When the test was finished (35 secs for the whole thing) I said I am flying Saturday at 8pm so will need test results by 6pm on the Saturday and she said she couldn’t guarantee that but if I paid her another £50 I could have them within 24 hours…[/quote]

I find it very distasteful how we are getting screwed by prices being dependant on the time taken to get the results. If the new test requirements are still going to cost £20-£30 each, it makes you wonder how much all the test kits currently in circulation are actually worth. I currently have 5 unopened boxes of multiple lateral flow tests, simply handed to me by my local pharmacist in north London. Why on earth should I be forced to pay inflated prices for the same test by a private provider, when I need to return to the UK after my next trip….

6 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls