Last major hurdle for SAA International return overcome yesterday

Back to Forum
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

The SA Competition Commission has finally recommended the approval of the proposed merger between South African Airways (SAA) and Takatso Aviation.

With the Competition Tribunal approve of the merger, the Department of Public Enterprises will only own 49% of South African Airways (which it is also looking to sell) and the Takatso
    development plans for the airline will now be able to proceed.

I hope that this is not another false dawn.

1 user thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

That’s very good news, and thanks for posting Cwoodward.

SAA staffing levels were very bloated and I just wonder if this has now been dealt with. Going into administration helped as they could probably lay off many people, and unfortunately many very good people, including crew, have left, found other jobs, and are unlikely to return.
    I hope Takatso make a go of it.

Interestingly, they also (part?) own LIFT. As domestic airlines go it’s pretty unreliable, and they would lease planes as and when needed, putting flights on the more popular tourist routes at peak times only, when they could achieve maximum revenue. This could however feed in nicely to service internal destinations from JNB and CPT as Mango once did. The only disadvantage they would have is their reputation, and the fact AirLink now does this very well, and with a proper Business Class, which many pax flying say CPT-JNB-FRA or LHR for example want. Safair does have a sort of business class but it’s not as polished as that of Airlink.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls