Large pricing change for South African Airways

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• Charles-P
    Participant

This morning I was on the South African Airways website looking to book some tickets for a flight to Johannesburg, the price change between 0730 CET and about five minutes ago is truly remarkable.

At 0730 Four Business Class tickets were priced at GBP 1731 each

Five minutes ago the price had risen to GBP 2801 each with all other details exactly the same.

I of course appreciate that pricing algorithms are driven by factors such as demand, time of day, location of person booking etc but this does seem to be a very large jump. Anybody else seem anything similar ?

esselle
    Participant

Try going back into the website using a search engine which does not allow it to recognise you.

Charles-P
    Participant

‘esselle’ – thanks for that tip, I remember my old IT manager saying the same thing a couple of years ago. My browser is set to never store the ‘cookies’ used by some sites so I am confident the system is unable to recognise me as a return visitor.

I have now booked four Business Class tickets on BA for the same trip at GBP 1325 each which I think is pretty good value. They use the A380 on that flight and the Business Class product on the BA 380 is in my view one of the best available.

Reeferman
    Participant

I got very excited when I saw a £1,325 business class fare to Jp’burg – but then Isaw on the BA website that it’s only 1-way!!

Charles-P
    Participant

Reeferman – yes sorry about that. It is indeed only one way. We are going on to New York after so we didn’t need the return.

icenspice
    Participant

Charles, if you don’t mind, I would like to ask how much your ticket costs between SA and NYC.

Is it o/w also?

GivingupBA
    Participant

Charles-P said, “Anybody else seem anything similar?” – yes, I have several times, although not with such a large jump in price as you found. But quite a jump nevertheless.

I have learned to research prices on one laptop, and book flights on another laptop – preferably in a different building too – this removes the problem, for me.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I have seen changes of this order of magnitude on a number of occasions, in both directions.

Recently, I was costing a trip to the Middle East and one airline was quoting £1,800 return – a week later, the same company released some ‘I’ class availability and I picked it up for £900.

AS a matter of timing, someone looking at the fare and then seeing the ‘I’ class release 5 mins later would have been surprised.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I have seen these types of price jumps only too frequently. In fact is Hadleigh to me right now. A close on 30% uplift on my upcoming flight to Europe. I shall be patient as the price often reduces nearer the date.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Out of curiosity I checked SAA JNB – JFK in Business.
    Rough conversion from Rand:
    One way – £2,000
    Return: £1850!

icenspice
    Participant

Thanks LP. I think that is a very good o/w fare.

Charles-P
    Participant

icenspice – we are fortunate to all be flying privately courtesy of an old friend who is returning from safari at the same time to the US. From New York to London I will probably again use BA but I have yet to book as our travel plans are not yet finalised.

1 user thanked author for this post.

icenspice
    Participant

OMG, Charles. I think I am on the wrong forum!

Regarding your opening post: the other day I changed the date of a flight to Cyprus and while flicking through the calendar online, the fare difference rose within seconds. But nowhere near the jump you experienced.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Sorry. Erratum. Hadleigh should read “happening”! Just noticed it but can’t see how to edit a post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@LP, I think the edit function is now time sensitive. I think BT wanted to stop a poster deleting or even changing a post after a certain time.

With regards to research, I tend to research first on Kayak and then switch to the airlines website to book.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls